Shipping Container Storage

• ranger777
    OtterTail Cty/Minnetrista

Anyone have any of these on their hunting property for storage? Most are 40x8x8.5 and could fit a lot of toys(atv, tractor, etc).
    You can get one delivered for around 3k and is must cheaper than building a pole barn(especially with sky high lumber prices).
    They are also probably almost impossible to break into.

The lack on ventilation scares me though-

Attachments:
    1. 04c507cd8f33210011fd84e3b004d6ca.jpg

2. 9b72b50b9fb188148d559dfaf01d10d8.jpg

3. fc61b365eb6203e84b591a4eeb03d57f.jpg

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I’d like one at our cabin. I’d put a wood/shingle roof over it and cut vents in under the roof and on top of the container and cover the holes with some heavy wire mesh of stainless diamond grid to help keep critters out, then have a layer of screen to keep bugs out.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

My BIL has one. Likes it.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Container Park in Las Vegas – I thought this Idea was a way cool concept. It gives new small business’s a great way to get a start at a reasonable retail space cost. I thought it was a idea that would really take off- But it seems like it never did.

Home

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’ll be getting one at my hunting property as soon as I can clear space and make a good, level gravel pad. They look like great storage and the cost per square foot is hard to beat.

The lack on ventilation scares me though-

Yes, I did some research and there are a lot of options for adding vents that are basically like this.

Installation is a little more of a challenge on a steel container, but it should be do-able. It looks like another popular option is to add a solar-powered attic vent to really move the air in the summer.

I will also be painting mine a light color and white on the roof as soon as I get it. I think that color alone will go a long way toward minimizing internal temps.

Grouse

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Absolutely internet hearsay but……. I have heard you need to be careful about insects coming over from the far east with the containers. I would have it “bombed” with a pesticide to kill anything that might be hitchhiking.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Absolutely internet hearsay but……. I have heard you need to be careful about insects coming over from the far east with the containers. I would have it “bombed” with a pesticide to kill anything that might be hitchhiking.

This, then open the doors after a day and spray the whole inside with a bleach water solution and allow it to dry.

iowa_josh

I have never seen the two with a roof before. I did meet a guy who was putting them on his rental lot. No property tax on them. Or so he said.

Wallyhntr1
    Tonka

In 30yrs of international shipping/receiving, never once experienced bugs in these containers. The worst infestations were military related, USA military.

gimp

I have one set on some property I own and it is great. they do have vents in them, they are critter and bug proof (unless you let them in keeping doors open). there are different size 20′, 40′ with different door openings so yes go check around and see what is out there.

Pauleye
    Onamia

I just put one on my property. So far its great.
    I plan on putting some whirlybirds on top for ventilation.
    For me it was the best alternative to building.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

we have a bunch at work and store everything from office supplies to tools, most have little side vents,never have any moisture problems. maybe if you put wet stuff away then you might see problems. only complaint is the doors on some are a pain to get shut.

castle-rock-clown

I’m a new owner of one, can’t wait to get another. I bought a solar powered vent fan that is designed for the roof of the container. It gives both passive and forced ventilation.

ranger777

I’m a new owner of one, can’t wait to get another. I bought a solar powered vent fan that is designed for the roof of the container. It gives both passive and forced ventilation.

How much did it cost delivered?

KPE
    River Falls, WI

I got a 20X12 steel building put up for $4k flat. It comes with a warranty and has a roof designed for the weather we experience here in the midwest. After looking into storage containers I felt this was a much better spend for my application. No need to modify it at all. Just a thought for anyone who, like me, thought they wanted a container.

ranger777

Hey Kyle-
    Who did the work for you and where were the materials bought? That seems like a great deal.

It is still 80 square fee smaller than a standard 8×40 container though and you are probably having to pay property taxes on it.

Franny
    Empire, MN

A friend of mine owns MSP Containers, sells new or used. mspcontainers.com

castle-rock-clown

I paid $3,450 delivered. It’s a 8×40 high cube. My “dream” build is to get 3 containers and use them as a storage / base for a stick built elevated cottage with elevated deck. It’s a 2 year plan. The great thing is I can purchase the containers as needed and stage them on the property using them for storage till I move them into final position for final build.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.