Which Walleye Tournament?

• doby_gillies

Was just hoping to get some opinions here. I am looking to fish one walleye tournament this year and have it narrowed down to two. Either the 2 day tournament at Sherman Reservoir on April 17-18 or the one day tournament at Merritt Reservoir on June 26th and the 1 day tournament on the 27th. Both of these tournaments are put on by the Nebraska Walleye Trail.

I’ve never fished Merritt before, but heard the fishing up there was great last year and think it would be a blast catching walleyes in the weeds. I’ve also heard that Sherman was good early in the year. I would love to hear what you think and the reasons why. Thanks in advance!

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Both lakes can be awesome during the times of these tournaments.
    A couple things that might change how good they are……

Sherman in mid April with ice out as late as it’s going to be this year could change the game. Typically the ice is off Sherman by St.Patricks Day however, this year could be April 1. We’re gonna need some sunny and warm weather with wind to get the ice off Sherman by Apr.1 and even then it could change migration patterns.

Merritt in late June could be incredible!!! One thing that could change a typical great weed bite would be a water level drop due to early irrigation release. If the irrigation district for Merritt gets good rainfall leading up to this event there can still be a great weed bite!!

I know I will be fishing the Sherman tournament for sure!!!! I can’t wait to get on the water!!!

deerslayer13

If I had to pick. I would go west & north to MERRITT. Any excuss to fish merrit I can get .I will.
    The Sherman will be fun a crowded. Expect 80 or more great teams there. . Fish will be everywhere deep to shallow.. Live bait to cranks. Or at least that’s what it been like at Sherman in Aprili the past few years. A few fish will be at the dam some will be at the inlet. You will have a great time at Sherman.
    Now at merritt expect a few less teams but could be another great tourney. With the difference in length and bag. You have to get bigger fish at merritt. . You can throw jig or beetle spins. ,bass spinners to doll flies in to the shallows and hook a big one that time of year. Live bait drift the flats ,jig the drops or even slip bobber the weedlines.come up with a nice limit. Heck you can even pull hot and tot shallow or deepand rip a limit or two.
    I will not be fishing the any tourneys again this year. But good luck to all the nice guys and gals that will be.

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

The ice will be off Sherman well before April 1st

Both lakes give you a great opportunity to catch a limit of fish and a real chance at a 28″+ fish. I was part of a big fish bite at Sherman a couple of years ago during the spring tournament that was AMAZING There were more big fish pulled out of the water in that 2 hour period than I have ever seen and it was cool being part of it.

In my opinion, the Merrit tournament is a little more laid back that the Sherman tournaments and there aren’t usually the crowds of people at the Merrit event like there are at the Sherman events. It just depends on what you are looking for in an event.

Sherman can be extremely fickel in April but it can also be amazing Ben and Mike D. can attest to that

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.