September 20, 2009

• djorg
    Participant
    Central City, NE

Water out and water in have both been shut down at Sherman for the year. The lake level will now drop to winter pool on it’s own. At this time all ramps are still usable. If all follows the norm the water quality should continue to improve. There has been a great shad hatch at Sherman this year followed by one of the largest and most irritating mayfly hatch ever. With the abundance of forage, the fish are really healthy.

I wasn’t able to fish today but did get the lawn mowed so that it frees up time during the week, weather permitting. Some crappies have moved to the dam. Most are short of the 10″ limit but about one in four make it to the livewell. Whites have been spotty at best; but some real nice ones are coming from the shallows on Kastmasters. An occasional walleye is falling to slabs below the schools of Shad and while fishing whites. I have been able to scratch up a couple of walleyes on leadcore but nothing consistent.

It has been a terrific year for monster flatheads this year. Tradewinds Marina has a wall full of pictures of fish.

As the water cools the bite should continue to improve throughout the fall. Last years fall white bass and walleye bite was tremendous.

Brian Robinson
    Participant
    central Neb

Thanks for the update Jorg.

Ben Garver
    Participant
    Hickman, Nebraska

Thanks a ton for the update Jorg. I’m sorry I forgot to give you a call. I’ve been super busy lately and just got home yesterday from Rainy Lake. Expect a call soon.

The flatheads have definately been large and plentiful. My friend Todd was there this last weekend and caught and released a possible state record. I’ll get a picture up soon.

djorg
    Participant
    Central City, NE

I had heard that someone caught another too. I won’t be up to any boating for a few days; I had hernia surgery this morning and don’t think a boat ride is in the near future.

Another report of whites real shallow on Saturday. Same group did well hopping the brush piles and submerged trees for crappies.

••• lots of small crappies at Davis on small jigs in the trees. LOTS

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.