8-30-09 Quick Sherman Walleye Report

• Ben Garver
    Participant
    Hickman, Nebraska

Todd and I made a quick trip to Sherman yesterday to jump in Bill’s boat for the day. The three of us had a great time as it didn’t take us long to get into some eyes. We hit the water around 7:30 and trolling leadcore for suspended walleyes was the game plan. One of the first fish of the day was a dandy that came unbuttoned shortly after looking over at a loaded up rod that had BIG FISH written all over it. We were a little bummed out but knew we could have a good day and another shot at some big fish.
    We quickly figued out that jointed baits were favored. The best bites seemed to be under the larger clouds of shad. They are easy to find on your electronics as they cover a good 6-10 feet of the water colum. Once you located bait you could count down the seconds until a rod was going to load up. We boated several white bass and seemed to catch a couple whites to every walleye. We caught our 3 limits of “unders” ranging from 15 1/2 to 19 inches and had one decent protected slot fish for the day. Todd had the pleasure of landing the healthy 26″ slot fish. I wish I could get back up there soon. Chasing suspended walleye this time of year in the open water is one of my favorite ways to fish. No snags and a little multi-species action always keeps things interesting.

The lake looked great. It’s down about 5 1/2 feet right now and shouldn’t drop below winter pool at this point. Water temp was 71 degrees. I’m betting there should be a great fall bite up there this year and I’m sure you’ll see some more reports from there soon.

Richard V.
    Participant
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Sounds like a blast Ben. I wish I had the time to come up there this week, maybe later in September I will and possibly we could hook up. Hopefully my free time don’t come during the Rainy outing.

That 26er looks very nice Todd, congratulations.

Brian Robinson
    Participant
    central Neb

Great stuff Ben, thanks for posting. That is one real nice looking fish Todd…nice!

I’m looking to possibly take a trip somewhere Thursday to a place I don’t frequent. Got an open seat, too. Sherman might be a place to think about with a report like that.

wade_kuehl
    Participant
    Northwest Iowa

Nice job, Ben!

chadmayer
    Participant
    Gretna, NE

Nice report Ben. I have the week of sept 13th off. I may have to take a trip there.

walleye4
    Participant
    On the Water

Quote:

Nice report Ben. I have the week of sept 13th off. I may have to take a trip there.

I may have an extra ticket to the game on the 12th! I’ll know by the end of the week for sure if my nephew is going with us or not!

djorg
    Participant
    Central City, NE

Nice report Ben. We just missed you guys. We had been at the cabin the previous three days and did really well on whites. A few nice walleyes are coming from slabbing below the schools of whites and shad. We were able to release a 25″ fish on Saturday and know of a 30″ that was ACCIDENTALLY release this weekend also. My brother and sister-in-law saw you guys trolling past them.

Thanks again for the report!!!

Ben Garver
    Participant
    Hickman, Nebraska

I heard about the accidental release. At least he got a photo of it. Didn’t the same guy catch a 15 lb’er at Mac a few years ago.

mb376
    Participant
    Lincoln, Nebraska

Nice report Ben. I have only been up there once since doing really well in the spring. That was a couple of weeks ago and I, like Flatwater did well on whites but couldn’t seem to find the Walleye that day. I am hoping to get up there soon.

djorg
    Participant
    Central City, NE

Yep, that would be John. He is quite the character and quite a fisherman. He has been laid up most of the summer, but is back on the fish this fall.

zachary fries
    Participant
    Central Nebraska

Quote:

Yep, that would be John. He is quite the character and quite a fisherman. He has been laid up most of the summer, but is back on the fish this fall.

A VERY good fisherman and nice guy

rippin-lips
    Participant
    Kearney

Sounds like a great day. I decided to give trolling a try this summer at Sherman also. Being a live bait guy I had to go out and buy 4 new trolling combos and rig up with lead core. Man did that pay off. we caught more fish this year than ever. And even landed several hogs that were released. The new slot has really worked great for us this year. We have caught several 19″ fish and a few in the 17″ range. One 27.5″ and a dozen between 23″-25″.

Ben I sent you a PM also and thanks for the report.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.