Monday fishing

• Brian Robinson
    Participant
    central Neb

My friend Josh and I headed for Sherman this am, and being a Monday morning, we had the lake to ourselves. Of course, maybe the whipping wind, whitecaps, and real cold were the real reasons we had it to ourselves. I’d say with this front, today’s conditions were a bit different than the tourny held there this past weekend. We tried a bit of trolling with no action, so we switched over to live bait. I managed to get three in the boat with two of them going 18 1/2″, but the real monster went to Josh. I mean…just look at that thing!! We had a good laugh over that one.

Backtrolling into the wind was our ticket today, going anywhere from 0.5 to 0.8mph. Caught our fish off the islands today, and with that wind, I’ve never been happier to have WhiteCaps splashguards on my boat. We had some good rollers out there, and I barely got splashed on at all. If you do any backtrolling at all, you really need to do yourself a favor and look at WHITECAPS for your boat. Priceless on a day like today.

Congrats to some of our IDO members this weekend for placing in the top 10, and in a couple cases, the top 5, in the tournaments there this past weekend. Sounded like a good time. Good job guys!

benjisdad
    Participant
    Newton, Iowa

..Now THAT is a trophy… .. great report …weather certainly has not been our friend here lately..

scott-k
    Participant
    Red Wing

The smile…sort of…tells it all.

mark-bruzek
    Participant
    Two Harbors, MN

I always tell people that anyone can catch a big fish, it takes a great fisherman to feel a lil’ guy on the line.

big shooter
    Participant
    HAGER CITY, WI

That takes skill to land one like that.

Brian Robinson
    Participant
    central Neb

Quote:

I always tell people that anyone can catch a big fish, it takes a great fisherman to feel a lil’ guy on the line.

That’s what I said!

Forgot to mention the drop in water temp. It was around 55-56 or so on Wednesday, and all the way up to 59-60 in some bays, but when we put in the lake yesterday, it was all the way down to 47 at the ramp! Did get up to about 53 yesterday, but it took a while.

Wow…I can’t wait to get out again.

Brian Robinson
    Participant
    central Neb

You know, we didn’t even talk about hitting the crappies yesterday, now that I think about it. I know some are being caught as they stage in the mouths of coves for spawn, but we were strictly in walleye mode. I did get a nice 11 1/2″er up there Wednesday, but we only crappied for about 1/2 hr or so.

chadmayer
    Participant
    Gretna, NE

Nice job guys. I am planning on coming to your area again on May 8th and 9th. I’m taking my 8 year old boy with me this time. Hopefully, we can find some active fish.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.