Davis Creek Crappie Fishing, 8/31/08

• djorg
    Participant
    Central City, NE

Because of the high winds forcast for Sunday, Ken and I took his boat to Davis Creek for some crappie fishing.

I hadn’t been to Davis since late June and it has dropped dramatically. When coming across the inlet we where greeted with just a small stream of water entering the lake. There still were a few shore fishermen at the inlet but I have no report for those interested in bank fishing. The island is completely out of the water and the island tree holds a lot of little fish.

Many of the trees that we usually fish were already out of the water or were holding too little water for the crappies. We did best in trees that had at least 10 fow around them and were on the main lake. We had little if any luck on fish of size in any of the coves. We did find one group of small crappies in a back cove in about 5 fow that kept us occupied for a couple of hours while the wind blew. We were unable to fish some of the water because of the high winds. Overall we probably caught and released close to a hundred crappies on the day.

John Deere green solid bodies on 1/16 oz. jigs tipped with Crappie Nibbles or Bang shad spray were the ticket. Chartruese Bubble Bellies worked well also. The crappies are still schooled according to year class and there are a great number of the little 5-6″ guys. The 7-8″ class is very good also but we were able to pick up 16 nice fish over 10″.

Davis would be a great place to take your kids if they need a “fishing fix.” We were unable to hook up with any “wallhangers” but do have a skillet full of filets for supper.

It was a great time fishing until we went to load the boat and the new floating dock had been blown across the ramp. It made loading the boat extremely difficult in that wind.

Take a kid fishing
    jorg

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.