Shelter in place order?

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>fishthumper wrote:</div>
    I read in California they will be enforcing the order and will be charging people who violate it. They better do a good job of describing no essential

Not what I’ve read at all in terms of enforcement. So far it says police yourselves. They have deemed dispensaries at ‘essential’ so I would say fishing for food or mental health is certainly just as essential if not more.

I cant find the original article where it said they would enforce it, but this one says they can and will as a last resort

The order details that violating the mandate is a misdemeanor punishable by fine, imprisonment or both. The San Francisco Police Department tells TIME that actively enforcing the order to ensure people stay inside is a “last resort.”

“We want people to use common sense and to think about how their actions can put others at risk,” says Robert Rueca, a spokesperson for the San Francisco Police Department. “Voluntary compliance is our goal and most of the city seems to be responding.”

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Italy has called in their military to enforce the lock down today. Too many people not abiding.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

It’s going to happen, I think it’s only a matter of time.

I checked yesterday and New York had ~5,000 confirmed cases, that number is 6800 right now. It’s risking quick. If that continues that that rate we will be in the tens of thousands for NY in the next day or two. then 20k, then 40k, then 100k.

travelNFish
    Nebraska

NE Governor placed an order in effect allowing delivery, drive thru pickup or curbside delivery of beer from liquor stores. Who would have guessed some good things are happening from this.
    Liquor Licensing — Establishments such as pizza parlors (Class A license holders) will be able to sell beer to customers on take-out or delivery orders. Restaurants (Class I license holders) will be able to sell beer, wine, and spirits to customers placing take-out or delivery orders.
    Sale of Alcohol –To encourage social distancing, restaurants and bars will be permitted to sell alcohol on drive-thru or curbside orders without customers having to exit their motor vehicles.
    Temporary Operating Permits — Temporary operating permits will be extended from 90 to 180 days.
    Waiver of Excise Tax Penalties — Excise tax payees still have the duty to file and pay the excise tax according to statute. However, the executive order will waive penalties for late payments.
    Payment of beer, wine, and spirit deliveries — Under normal circumstances, beer must be paid for upon delivery and wine and spirit deliveries must be paid within 30 days. The executive order will give restaurants and bars 90 days to pay for beer, wine, and spirit deliveries for the duration of the COVID-19 emergency.

Deleted

Check on your family & neighbors.

I do think a (soft) shelter in place order is coming. I don’t think it applies to fishing. If so, it will be ignored. I don’t see the point.

I do think more mass lay-offs are coming next week, unless we hear some crazy positive gains made to curtail this virus.

Eyes peeled, mags loaded.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Feds/States/Cities can control licensed businesses and shut them down. (Or fine them and revoke licenses if they not to) I don’t see them having any authority to keep me in my house.

Good luck with that!

-J.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Gas is cheap. I’ll drive around all I want and not affect anyone. Sounds like a good opportunity to do some exploring.

B-man

A guy I went to school with joined the Wisconsin Army National Guard reserves after highschool. He’s been “out” for two years now.

He just got called back in for active duty…..

$hit is getting more real every minute.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I just bought minnows…..I’m gonna try and return them.

Karry Kyllo

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jon Jordan wrote:</div>
    I’d like to know where in the US Constitution it allows for the government to make such an order?

Anyone?

-J.

I could not find anything on shelter in place – But it may fall under order of Martial Law

Martial law on the national level may be declared by Congress or the president. Under Article I, Section 8, Clause 15, of the Constitution, Congress has the power “[t]o provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress insurrections and repel Invasions.” Article II, Section 2, Clause 1, of the Constitution declares that “[t]he President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States.” Neither constitutional provision includes a direct reference to martial law. However, the Supreme Court has interpreted both to allow the declaration of martial law by the president or Congress. On the state level, a governor may declare martial law within her or his own state. The power to do so usually is granted in the state constitution.

Shelter-in-place is not Martial Law.

Deleted

I just bought minnows…..I’m gonna try and return them.

Must be them $20/dozen Willowcats ?

phishingruven01
    Inactive
    southeast lower michigan

Nation wide lock down. Shelter in place. Probay be announced sunday.
    Its happening.

B-man

Tune into 830 if you’re not by a tv, think they’ll have it live

munchy
    NULL

Feds/States/Cities can control licensed businesses and shut them down. (Or fine them and revoke licenses if they not to) I don’t see them having any authority to keep me in my house.

Good luck with that!

-J.

During declarations of war and emergency they can do what is needed to “protect life and infrastructure”.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Looks like we dodged SIP for now.

Charles

Man this sign language interpreter is into it!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Illinois just ordered a SIP starting Saturday.

Ripjiggen

I am sure it is to come. Just a matter of time.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I’d like to know where in the US Constitution it allows for the government to make such an order?

Anyone?

-J.

I could not find anything on shelter in place – But it may fall under order of Martial Law

Martial law on the national level may be declared by Congress or the president. Under Article I, Section 8, Clause 15, of the Constitution, Congress has the power “[t]o provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress insurrections and repel Invasions.” Article II, Section 2, Clause 1, of the Constitution declares that “[t]he President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States.” Neither constitutional provision includes a direct reference to martial law. However, the Supreme Court has interpreted both to allow the declaration of martial law by the president or Congress. On the state level, a governor may declare martial law within her or his own state. The power to do so usually is granted in the state constitution.

Then like Jon said – Not sure what grounds the states that are doing it have, or how they can legally enforce it.

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

Didn’t catch this press conference but if it was the same lady as Walz’ last statement, she was a riot to watch.

Coletrain27

How come there not sitting 6 feet apart?

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

Anyone?

-J.

I’m no law expert, but I do know that we have thousands of laws on the books, many dealing with public safety/disaster/crisis. Doesn’t have to be in the Constitution to be legal.

Brad Dimond

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Karry Kyllo wrote:</div>

Anyone?

-J.

Then like Jon said – Not sure what grounds the states that are doing it have, or how they can legally enforce it.

Even if not legally enforceable it seems like the best approach from a self-interest perspective. Protect your family, yourself and if you are one of the unfortunate infected, protect those around you.

Ripjiggen

It is more to close non essential business. Like malls, Cabellas, and such to help slow the spread. Some have already voluntarily done so some have not.

munchy
    NULL

Her facial expressions scare me.

I’m no sign language expert but half of it looks like she’s just doing random hand signals.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I’m no law expert, but I do know that we have thousands of laws on the books, many dealing with public safety/disaster/crisis. Doesn’t have to be in the Constitution to be legal.

There are plenty of unconstitutional laws on the books. They are there until someone takes it to a court challenge and have them over ruled and tossed out.

-J.

Brad Dimond

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>reverend wrote:</div>

There are plenty of unconstitutional laws on the books. They are there until someone takes it to a court challenge and have them over ruled and tossed out.

-J.

Agreed. However, until the challenges make their way through the courts for review the laws are typically enforced. Hopefully by the time that would occur the pandemic will have abated and we will arrive at a new normal.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Why isn’t anybody on the news talking about the border wall anymore?

B-man

Why isn’t anybody on the news talking about the border wall anymore?

Or legal marijuana, or transgenders, or black lives matter?

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 84 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.