Shelf life for cooking oil?

• Jason

Ok, let’s say you cook a batch of fish in a small Presto style cooker using 1.5 qrt of oil. Do you throw out the oil or do you filter it store it for later use?
    If you keep it how long is it good for? Do you store it at room temperature or in the fridge?

Pat K
    Empire, MN

I filter it then store it in the fridge. I usually use it 3 times before throwing it out.
    If the color or smell is off I throw it out sooner.
    On a fishing trip where it’s being used every day I’ll use it more than 3 times.

haleysgold
    SE MN

Fry powder and stain off the solids and keep cool.
    Will last 5 to 8 times? If you didn’t burn it.
    Fry Powder is pretty awesome

I hate to only use 3 times. Expensive to begin with and flavor is better but not if ya don’t take care it.
    Read up on Fry Powder. I swear by it.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

If it is a huge batch fish fry for the entire family, friends, and whoever else…it may get tossed after one use (which could be the same as many smaller uses).

If it’s just for the immediate family, I generally use it twice. Not because it couldn’t be used 3-4 times…but moreso because we don’t eat fish that often (a couple of times per month)

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Not to derail the thread, but does anyone have a good funnel style filter system. I always want to save and reuse just have not found a way to do without spilling all over the place.

JEREMY
    BP

A guy i used to work with kept a little deep fryer by his tool box. I bet we had ten or so fish fries over the years and dont think ever cleaned it or changed it.

Dan
    Southeast MN

I pour it through a wire strainer into a big Pyrex glass measuring bowl thing with a spout (like a normal glass measuring cup but bigger) then once it’s cooled I put it back in a jug like what it came in (I don’t mix new oil with used stuff though).

I honestly reuse it a lot, after awhile it seems to make the house a lot more smokey and then I throw it out.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I hate to only use 3 times. Expensive to begin with and flavor is better but not if ya don’t take care it.

Ok – Tell me more. Did a google search and found a few different things. What is fry Powder? How do you use it? and what brand do you use ?

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Never even occurred to me to use oil twice, always been a one and done guy. Now that Avocado oil is getting more expensive may have to consider filtering.

haleysgold
    SE MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>haleysgold wrote:</div>

Ok – Tell me more. Did a google search and found a few different things. What is fry Powder? How do you use it? and what brand do you use ?

I use the fry powder made by Miroil. I add maybe a teaspoon to the hot oil and mix it in before frying fish. The fish was crisp before I started using but now it’s crisper and stays crisp. The fish tastes better too. Soaks up less oil (try their test, it works).

I also notice it’s much easier to cleanup the fryer. you know how sometimes you get that sticky oil that doesn’t want to come off? I don’t have any of that any more.

They also claim, which I have no of knowing if true, the oil to be more healthy and with antioxidants.

I strain mine through a restaurant cone filter after each use, I usually make quite a bit at a time as I love leftover fish for sandwiches. The straining process takes out the impurities and chunks. By doing that, I lose a little more oil so I add a little new oil next time. That’s why I use a little more fry powder each time. I rarely throw oil away now as it never gets old (lose some in straining, keep it cool, don’t over heat it so it burns, the fry powder keeps it clean and adding new oil each time).

I use canola oil now. In the past have used vegetable, peanut, the blend stuff in 2 1/2 gal jugs from the box box stores. Canola seems to work best but I’ve heard coconut oil is good and better for you. Probably expensive too.

I think if you tried it, you’d be hooked! Good luck!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.