SPLITTER has FINALLY dropped his horns

• robstenger
    Participant
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Well this past weekend Paul had noticed on Saturday that Splitter the infamous buck from a farm I frequent in North Dakota had finally dropped his horns according to trail camera pics Paul retrieved this Past Saturday night. Not wasting any time with the threat of some more snow in the very near forecast, Paul got out on Sunday evening to look for Splitters sheds. A half hour into it he was looking at a very well used river crossing trail and at the bottom of the river bank right on the frozen river there laid one half of Splitters shed. Paul spent the rest of the evening till dark looking for the other half to no avail. Paul had found the same side shed as to the one he had from last year, Splitter’s right. Paul measured the shed which we believe is Splitters weaker side and his shed came up to 65 4/8”es. If the other side holds as strong as we think, this would put Splitter’s gross with his 18” spread at just over 150” most likely.

Now that Splitter has dropped, Paul will be out in full force (depending on snow) searching his farm for sheds. I just hope I can get away after this weekend to help him find the other half of Splitter or sheds from other deer as I will be busy this weekend with the IDO booth @ the Whitetail Classic.

Here is where the plot and the story thickens on this buck we have been chasing/following over the last few years. A neighbor to Paul’s farm up there had a trail camera picture of Splitter from early October. Paul has just confirmed it was him, but he looked a lil’ different. We had started getting trail camera pictures of him last Fall on Paul’s farm in mid October and had noticed that it looked like he possibly tried to grow a G4 to his 4×4 main frame. Well it turns out that he did grow one, but must of broke it off sometime in between that trail camera pic the neighbor had and the one we had from October 18th?? According to the neighbors trial camera picture from early October Splitter had about a 4” G4 on one side which would put Splitter in the mid 150’es for total inches. Along with that Splitter had put on around 25-30”es from the year before. So if he puts on another 20” this Summer he would be pushing around Gross Boone this year. I just can’t wait to see what he grows this year. Like I have said before, we have chased bigger deer up there in North Dakota, not many as he will be this Fall, but there have been a few. However, I think for both and Paul the total net score of this deer really does not matter at all as we have been following this deer for quite some time and just to have an encounter with this deer next Fall would be unreal, but to actually harvest this deer would probably be a deer of a lifetime given the past history with this Bruiser we have come to know as “Splitter”.

***The above pictures are his shed from this year and his shed from last year. The search has been put on hold until some snow melts up there. There are drifts over Paul’s head from this last storm.

walleyebuster5
    Participant
    Central MN

Awesome find! I bet it’s nice to know exactly when he dropped both sides so you dont have to search the same area over and over not knowing. But then again, I’m sure we’ve all walked past a shed or two in our day!

hangartner
    Participant
    fayette,iowa

Lip, Just resist him for one more year if you can, get him to 5 1/2 years you’ll be amazed at the growth a year will make. I sent you two pics. of sheds. QDM What a difference a year or two can make. Frank fh6002

mark_johnson
    Participant
    St. Croix River

Very cool!!

robstenger
    Participant
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Frank I got those pics thanks! Do you want me to post them here??

Splitter will be 5.5 this year. We are expecting a good jump this year, he looked healthy, had good food thorugh the tough winter thanks to Paul and they do make a tremendous jump 4.5 to 5.5!

ragerunner
    Participant
    Winona, MN

Great job to your friend on finding that side when he did. Sounds like that could’ve sunk to the bottom of the river had it thawed first. Did he get any ATL pictures?

Good luck on the other side.

mpearson
    Participant
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Pretty sure that’s a mule deer Lip!

hangartner
    Participant
    fayette,iowa

Go ahead and post if anybody thinks QDM does not work on a small farm, better think again. I’ve been at it for nine years now. We harvested 17 does and two cull bucks in 2008 Thanks frank

prieser
    Participant
    Byron, MN

Quote:

Pretty sure that’s a mule deer Lip!

all kidding aside, he has to be a cross breed….don’t he.

craig daugherty
    Participant
    Osseo, Mn

Great Sheds! When we going to North Dakota?

rvrat
    Participant
    st cloud,mn

Awasome find and what unique antlers….cant wait to see the pics next year at harvest time …Jay

Brad Juaire
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

Now that’s a splitter buck!

I know…. I know…. get behind the camera….

robstenger
    Participant
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Get behind the camera is right and don’t forget your thermacell Tiffany. Labor Day weekend will be hot, buggy and we will chasing this bad boy.

Splitter is a true Whitetail. There has been some genes in those woods with Split G2’s. The buck before Splitter we were chasing a non-typical 15 point that had split G2’s not as deep as splitter, but present.

Frank you are right. QDM does work on small farms. Paul actually owns around 110 acres now and we have really been managing this piece. I have not shot a buck off it in a long, long time. Paul is aggressive on his food plots, supplemental feeding, and we have been whacking does off this piece for quite awhile and have it controlled. This QDM management is really start to produce some dandies. I just can’t wait till next year.

coppertop
    Participant
    Central MN

Rob, That is one great looking buck! Funny were those sheds end up sometimes.

DugMer
    Participant

Great story. Thanks for sharing. I just finished dinner with Trish and it was so nice I thought I would check a field by my house (Chippewa Falls) 3 nice bucks with horns. Crazy.

Thanks again for the update on Splitter. Sure hope there will be a good ending.

robstenger
    Participant
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

The flooding in the Fargo Red river Area in ND may be a real bad thing for finding Splitters sheds. If it gets as high as they are predicting (worse then 97), Splitters and all the sheds may be washed away to the bottom of the River and have BK’s Catfish sucking on them.

My plan right now is to head up on Friday and look for sheds this weekend, but that will be Flood Pending.

DanSchafer
    Participant
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Wow! Very unique buck!

Good luck shed hunting, if you go. I talked to my nephew out in Bismarck yesterday and he said there was water everywhere out there.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.