SF 4062 Shotgun Zone Elimination

• gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

But I believe you would need a rifled barrel to make that work.

I would want to be using a rifled barrel regardless of the ammo I’m using. It greatly increases the accuracy.

KPE
    Participant
    River Falls, WI

Sorry, after reading this thread I’m even more confused. Could someone more experienced with MN politics provide an opinion on whether this is likely to pass? I still hunt MN despite having moved to WI, and where I hunt it’s shotgun only but based on the stricken verbiage it would change to rifle.

disco bobber
    Participant

It is an omnibus bill and now heading to conference committee. Removing the slug zone is in both house and senate versions. At this point it is on track to pass and the legislature only has a few more weeks left.

KPE
    Participant
    River Falls, WI

Thanks Bobber. That’s what I figured if it already made it this far, but you never know.

Jeff McClintock
    Participant

Trying to locate info on whether this passed or not seems difficult. Anybody have any idea? I have tried several Google searches and end up going in circles.

RVRDUX
    Participant
    Dakota, MN

I believe it is still being argued on in the proposed bill. Past Senate but House voted down and the amendment removed. So now their is some breakout committee going on I think.

That is my understanding.

Thanks,
    RVRDUX

3Rivers
    Participant

The entire bill failed. End of story. (

disco bobber
    Participant

I assume this could still be voted on in a special session.

Tom schmitt
    Participant

Assuming that they have a special session and decide to vote on this bill.
    Right now the entire senate and house should be removed and start fresh with a new batch of idiots because this batch is worthless.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Hunting with a shotgun slug would put me at a major disadvantage where I hunt. The landscape where I hunt in zone 2 is fairly open. Its not heavy timber like it is up north in zone 1. Its broken country that has a mix of small stands of timber, brush, grassland, and agriculture. I can see 500+ yards in 3 directions when I get 20 feet up in a tree. I’d be so limited if I had to use a shotgun there instead of a scoped rifle.

I’ve never understood the thrill of shooting a deer you can barley spot with out binos. I hunt in heavy wooded swamp and not huge fields. I think if my shots all had to be 200 plus yards I’d find a new hobby. Nothing like the rush of a deer coming in 20 yards from you. Same reason I don’t sit in a stand.

As for shotgun zone. I live on the border, basically my front yard is rifle and behind my back yard is shot gun. I would like to take the 30 30 back in the shotgun area, that would be pretty sweet.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

I hear ya. Not all my shots are long range. Maybe I misrepresented myself in my previous post. I do get a fair amount of deer that walk within 100 yards.

As it turns out, our group is done hunting in zone 1 now anyways. My great grandfather and his friends started hunting up there in the Chippewa National Forest about 75 years ago, and I’m the fourth generation. We had 3 more people already back out for next season so it makes no sense to stay in a 10 person lodge now with only 3 people. Kinda makes me sad to be honest because it’s a family tradition that is done now. So now all of my hunting will be in the broken more open country of zone 2.

ajw
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>
    Hunting with a shotgun slug would put me at a major disadvantage where I hunt. The landscape where I hunt in zone 2 is fairly open. Its not heavy timber like it is up north in zone 1. Its broken country that has a mix of small stands of timber, brush, grassland, and agriculture. I can see 500+ yards in 3 directions when I get 20 feet up in a tree. I’d be so limited if I had to use a shotgun there instead of a scoped rifle.

I’ve never understood the thrill of shooting a deer you can barley spot with out binos. I hunt in heavy wooded swamp and not huge fields. I think if my shots all had to be 200 plus yards I’d find a new hobby. Nothing like the rush of a deer coming in 20 yards from you. Same reason I don’t sit in a stand.

As for shotgun zone. I live on the border, basically my front yard is rifle and behind my back yard is shot gun. I would like to take the 30 30 back in the shotgun area, that would be pretty sweet.

You’d hate western big game rifle seasons then. Different habitat requires different approaches. Different strokes for different folks and all that

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

I hear ya. Not all my shots are long range. Maybe I misrepresented myself in my previous post. I do get a fair amount of deer that walk within 100 yards.

As it turns out, our group is done hunting in zone 1 now anyways. My great grandfather and his friends started hunting up there in the Chippewa National Forest about 75 years ago, and I’m the fourth generation. We had 3 more people already back out for next season so it makes no sense to stay in a 10 person lodge now with only 3 people. Kinda makes me sad to be honest because it’s a family tradition that is done now. So now all of my hunting will be in the broken more open country of zone 2.

That’s a awesome family tradition. I want to be the one who starts one within my family. We have no traditions hunting or fishing. I’m jealous of groups that do.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

You’d hate western big game rifle seasons then. Different habitat requires different approaches. Different strokes for different folks and all that
    [/quote]

I’m going to try out west this year with my brother in law. I’m sure it’ll still be a rush, I just prefer a much different style. I don’t get any thrills killing big game at long distances. Before I wrecked my shoulder I didn’t even enjoy hunting with a gun.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

That’s a awesome family tradition. I want to be the one who starts one within my family. We have no traditions hunting or fishing. I’m jealous of groups that do.

I know and it makes me sad that it’s over. I started participating when I turned 12 in that group. We make a home cooked breakfast every morning at 4am, all go out hunting, and then make another meal at dinner time after we’ve all been hunting the day. We’d drink beer, play cards, and talk about our hunt for a couple hours each evening, get some sleep, and then do it again a couple more times before going home on Tuesday.

The hunting isn’t particularly good, but several of us including both my Father and I each shot the biggest buck we’ve ever seen up there years ago. So at least I have memories and a trophy to look at that will remind me of all those years hunting.

Viewing 17 posts - 31 through 47 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.