Seems the General Discussion forum has become the one-stop-shop for topics…

• Tim Bossert
    Cochrane, WI

I see posts covering all topics in here that should be in the appropriately designated forums.

I usually skip this forum and go into the ones titled for the topic I am looking for, but it looks as though I need to come here first and save myself some time… coffee

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

We move a lot of posts into the appropriate forums. Most are hunting into the hunting forum and for sale into the classified. Others as needed.

I just looked and almost all posts are appropriate for the general discussion. Being this is ice season and there is a lot of excitement on the topic, we will see some spill over into the general discussion forum right now. No need to move those imo. Now if it were July, we would move those into the ice forum. waytogo

But yes, I agree. I always start browsing the General Discussion and Todays Topics list when I first log in.

-J.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I always click the “Within the Last Day” link under View Posts in the upper right, unless I’m looking for something specific. .02

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I always look at “today’s topics” anything older is just old news. imho.
    especially now when ice reports are changing hourly, kinda exiting!

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

People also get trained quickly if their posts get zero replies in the topic specific forums to post where they think they will get a response.

munchy
    NULL

What does it really matter????

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Doesn’t this belong under questions and answers? jester

I also have noticed that as the new site has evolved, I’ve mostly hit the today’s topics or post for the last day. Most of the time I don’t even notice which topic category they are under. Sorry if I’ve contributed to the chaos. wave

Tim Bossert
    Cochrane, WI

What does it really matter????

Apparently enough to chime in…

Just sayin, site managers could save a lot of management time not having to move things. I’m used to going to the appropriate forum to search for topics of interest. I have historically stayed away from General Topic forums because the people using them are chatting about topics I don’t care to get involved in.

Of course not Randy. hah

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Site mangers have time to burn. Just learn to hit general discussion before you go to your other forums and all will be well. Face it, just about everybody here is surfing this site on comapany time anyway.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

honestly the only forums I frequent are the general one and ice fishing one. form time to time I will meander over to the metro forum or the river ones and occasional to the hunting section, but as others have said, we are here to ask questions, learn, have fun, and discuss outdoor topics, and when you post in other sections, most of the time, they just don’t get that much attention.

tim hurley

If I have a boat or tech question I get more responses in the general forum than the boat one. Lots of knowledgeable people on this site-

Wayne Daul
    Green Bay, Wi

I always click the “Within the Last Day” link under View Posts in the upper right, unless I’m looking for something specific. .02

X2

Tim Bossert
    Cochrane, WI

It is great that going ONLY to those forums works for you, but I like to research and go to what should be the source and NOT have to hunt for my interested reading topics. You are all reinforcing my initial question. Why not reduce time (and resources) and simply have ONE forum and just go through that looking at the “What’s New” link?

New people that don’t understand the process just yet might have a hard time and get frustrated and leave. Just sayin.

Maybe I’m just in a Grinchy mood… santa

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

I’d say post is a question putting it in the general will get the most views and most likely a response.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

I’d say if a post is a question putting it in the general will get the most views and most likely a response.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

It is great that going ONLY to those forums works for you, but I like to research and go to what should be the source and NOT have to hunt for my interested reading topics. You are all reinforcing my initial question. Why not reduce time (and resources) and simply have ONE forum and just go through that looking at the “What’s New” link?

New people that don’t understand the process just yet might have a hard time and get frustrated and leave. Just sayin.

Maybe I’m just in a Grinchy mood… santa

Tim,
    I understand how you feel and I hear what you are saying. If it would all go into one forum, you would have to scan several pages of topics in a 24 hour period to see if anything pertained to your interests I believe. Maybe some of the super moderators could chime in to give a topic count and then the number of individual posts in the same 24 hour period from the total IDO web site.

Even though it may seem not filtered enough for you, I think it is done fairly well as opposed to the chaotic theme of one for all and all falls into one. jmo

Dan
    Southeast MN

Like Denny O says, one forum would probably have several pages for just one day’s worth of postings. If you haven’t already, check out the Ice Fishing forum. In my opinion on most days that forum has more posts than the General Discussion, sometimes rapid fire on ice conditions, bodies of water, gear, etc. It’d hard to keep up.

I don’t think your idea is bad at all, I just give the edge to the way it is now due to the reasons I mentioned along with the logic Denny O put into it.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

I don’t think the moderators on this site are being paid a salary to monitor all the questions, answers, and suggestions on an hourly basis.
    Although your comments are duely noted and respected, I could be wrong here but I think the moderators do this job out of fun vs compensation.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I don’t think the moderators on this site are being paid a salary to monitor all the questions, answers, and suggestions on an hourly basis.
    Although your comments are duely noted and respected, I could be wrong here but I think the moderators do this job out of fun vs compensation.

I’m not sure on any of the web sites that I venture out to, any receive a buck!

There may be some that might receive a “nod” in their way BUT! those are maybe few and far apart. again jmho.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I’m with Randy…shouldn’t this have been put in the question and answer forum ??? hah

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

LOL You guys!

This is “my” routine that I came up with.

When a post pops up in General that should be somewhere else, I leave it there until (hopefully) it’s answered if it’s a question no matter what the topic is.

After I feel it’s been answered, I’ll pop it into the correct forum.

It’s tedious but the nature of the beast. I couldn’t see myself asking member to start paying attention to the forum they are posting in.

There are some that have a hard time finding the right forum. I don’t want them to be intimidated about posting. We can figure out where it goes afterwards.

I can’t say if I move more or less then other mods, but I move a lot! With that said, I haven’t moved anything since the beginning of December and won’t be until after Christmas sometime.

This is one thing that I really like about Ido, it’s pretty much self moderating!
    Thanks for bringing up the topic Tim!

Merry Christmas Idoers!!

Tim Bossert
    Cochrane, WI

Like Denny O says, one forum would probably have several pages for just one day’s worth of postings. If you haven’t already, check out the <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>Ice Fishing forum. In my opinion on most days that forum has more posts than the General Discussion, sometimes rapid fire on ice conditions, bodies of water, gear, etc. It’d hard to keep up.

I don’t think your idea is bad at all, I just give the edge to the way it is now due to the reasons I mentioned along with the logic Denny O put into it.

My idea was more for amusement, not actually thinking it would happen. It was more of an observation since I had not been in the General forum in a few trips to the site. Just surprised me that I saw such a mix that I normally would see in the other dedicated forums. No big deal. BK is back, so watch out! He’ll get us all in line for a prosperous 2017!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Hormel stock is going up again. coffee

big_g
    Isle, MN

I thought Hawaii was like the largest consumer of SPAM already… especially a couple weeks ago. whistling

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

There is a shortage in the States until Hawaii gets re stocked…hence the stock price soaring. )

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.