Season 15 Episode 1! INSANE Lake Trout Jigging Bite on Fort Peck Reservoir

• Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

Here we go! Welcome back everyone!

Join James Holst and Scott Collinsworth of Fort Peck Marina as they get into one of the best vertical jigging Lake Trout bites we’ve ever seen.

Ripjiggen

Great show!

Hopefully you gave Steve a net man tip so he can buy a pair of shoes or at least a pair of flip flops. lol

What month was this filmed?

David G

Great show. Thanks for the info. Where did you stay?

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Wow ! it’s going to be a long wait for trout season after watching that! Great show guys!

Garrett Van Gorden

Awesome show! Never fished lakers before, I hope to get into one through the ice in the next few years. Saw you guys on the road yesterday on our way back from Wi gun Opener, looking forward to seeing what adventure you were on in a future episode!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Great show. Thanks for the info. Where did you stay?

We stayed at the Fort Peck Marina.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Great show!

Hopefully you gave Steve a net man tip so he can buy a pair of shoes or at least a pair of flip flops. lol

What month was this filmed?

I believe it was the second week in June this summer.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Awesome show! Never fished lakers before, I hope to get into one through the ice in the next few years. Saw you guys on the road yesterday on our way back from Wi gun Opener, looking forward to seeing what adventure you were on in a future episode!

Where abouts where you located when you met them? whistling

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

It’s about 11 1/2 drive for me from I-Falls to the South end. All Hwy 2 so it might be a slow drive. crazy

James, Trout are nice but Pike rock. Have you heard are they available in good numbers on the South end or does I guy need to travel further North?

Thanks

Garrett Van Gorden

LOL, well where I saw them, they could have been heading anywhere in the state still. That Brandl truck sure caught my eye, then again not many boats being pulled around this time of year either. Cant wait to see where it turned out to be headed.

critter 1

Can you imagine how much fun that could be through the ice? That would be an adventure.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Now that looked fun!! Great video guys.

dirtywater

@jamesholst I’d be very curious to hear how you’d compare tactics, depths, etc, compared to how you fish for lake trout back home in MN. How deep were you jigging in August? For folks who have zero familiarity with Ft Peck, is there a decent trolling bite for when you’re cruising around looking for fish, or this more of a run-and-gun jigging game on the reservoir? Thanks!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

James, Trout are nice but Pike rock. Have you heard are they available in good numbers on the South end or does I guy need to travel further North?

Fort Peck is an incredible pike fishery from end to end. The creek arms near the north end of the lake, where the dam is located, provide very good pike fishing. Duck Creek and Bear Creek are an easy run from the launch at Fort Peck Marina. If you want to get adventurous The Dry Arm is a bit more of a run but you could explore that piece of water for weeks and barely scratch the surface.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Can you imagine how much fun that could be through the ice? That would be an adventure.

I can imagine that. Thankfully I don’t have to! We filmed Fort Peck Lake Trout last winter and it was a hoot!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’d be very curious to hear how you’d compare tactics, depths, etc, compared to how you fish for lake trout back home in MN.

We use the same approach. No fishing until you find a good group of fish on the ‘Birds then hover over the top of them and jig away. Our best depths out on Fort Peck were 55′ – 75’. We fished Fort Peck last June. Those depths are similar to where I would expect to find fish in June back here in MN.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

For folks who have zero familiarity with Ft Peck, is there a decent trolling bite for when you’re cruising around looking for fish, or this more of a run-and-gun jigging game on the reservoir? Thanks!

There is definitely a trolling bite. If you have downriggers you could easily troll spoons until you found a good pod of fish then spin around and jig on them.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I think this video should shed some light… waytogo

Bob P
    Shoreview MN

Wow that’s some action. And you guys are so calm. The fish is zipping out drag, and you’re just biding your time, calmly talking. I’d be going out of my mind with excitement.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

That looked like a blast all quality fish. I didnt catch when was this filmed

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

That looked like a blast all quality fish. I didnt catch when was this filmed

Fort Peck ice lake trout was filmed first week of March 2020.

Fort Peck open water lake trout was filmed second week of June 2020.

Fox River On Location was filmed last night, Nov. 23, 2020.

Tyler Garabrant

I know I’m late to the party here, but thinking of running out to peck this weekend, or next, or both to try and jig some lake trout.i have never been there, or done this before. I’m just curious os when your searching for groups of fish are you just running 2D sonar? Also what kind of stuff could you recommend looking at as a starting point? Thanks! Im from Devils Lake ND area and love watching your shows! Keep up the good work!!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.