Moved to Milesville,SD this week

• alkfish
    St Paul MN

I posted this in general discussion, but it was suggested I post it here too.

alkfish
    St Paul MN

Hello all! I moved to the Milesville,SD (1/2 way between Pierre and Sturgis by highway 34). Moving from MN, I am starting from square 1 on the fishing and hunting. I love bass especially, and love to hunt with gun and bow.I also enjoy picking wild mushrooms and trapping. If anyone can point me in the right direction to get settle in to my true passions I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks to all of you in advance!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Well, the hunting out there is awesome. Your bass fishing will be limited to the large stock dams in that area, but nobody fishes them. I’ve caught dozens of 4lb + fish in these ponds(no I will not admit to being a bass fisherman )

Of course you got Oahe, now that’s a bit of a jaunt for you, but the smallie fishing at the face of the dam can be blast. Then throw in some pike, walleyes and god knows what else. Get some smelt in about a month or less when the bays start warming and catch some monster pike.

The goose hunting out there in the fall is second to none in my opinion. Those huge stock dams will hold lots of geese and it’s not hard to get permission to hunt out there.

Good luck, and may I ask, why there??

alkfish
    St Paul MN

Thanks Kooty! I moved here to work for a swine genetic company. The location is great from a bio-security standpoint no other pigs around. The hunting looks like it may be ablast.

Here is a link to what I do

http://www.norsvin.com

scottsteil
    Central MN

Are you near the hills? How about that long drive once you get out of Pierre. That will take a guys back to the old West, great country out there.

kooty
    Keymaster

Don’t forget to plan a day in Sturgis the first week of August for the bike rally. Interesting stuff. And if you really want your toes curled, go to the Buffalo Chip campground for a live concert. This is not a family friendly event.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Good luck on the new start in SD. How many pheasants have you hit with the car or truck so far. I hit more with my truck up there last May than I’ve shot in the last 5 years here in Nebraska.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Quote:

I moved here to work for a swine genetic company

Cool, and I thought I was the only one on here with swine knowledge in the genetic and large scale production
    I worked for Babcock Swine and Genetics for awhile here in WI, they also have another operation in White Bear Lake.
    Then I went to Colorado to work for Seaboard Farms who is the second largest swine operation in the U.S. with 365,000 sows. I beleive they are the largest vertically integrated farm in the world. My specialty was nursery management and will still say I am the best there is when it comes to improving any nursery anywhere in the country Not bragging, I just have a way with working with the nursery environment.
    What do you do out there for that company?

alkfish
    St Paul MN

Cool to hear about another pig guy here! I worked for holden farms for 10 years,mainly breeeding and farrowing. The last2 years I have been in the boars stud, collecting and training boars. I also work in the lab evaluating and processing semen. Out here I will be mainly in the boar stud, but I will also work a lot in the nursery,finishing,farrowing and breeding. This company has the best Landrace I have ever seen. The have great feet and legs and the growth/feed efficiency is unreal. Very cool place to work if you enjoy superior animals.

I also followed your trapping adventures this year and really felt like I was on the line with you. I trapped my whole life until the last few years due to lack of private land. Hopefully this fall I will begin again.

Todays adventure was missing a yote at 300 yds running. shot 2″ behind. Official score for week now is yotes 3, Lance 0. Oh well, I plan on calling em in this weekend.

Later,
    Lance

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I spent time in breeding,farrowing,nursey, and the finishing areas as well, but I loved working the nursery area.
    If you are into coyote calling, you picked a great area and will not have any problem getting permission to hunt them. I have never had a rancher turn me down out west when asking to hunt coyotes. The typical response was “Kill ’em all”
    If you have never been through the Badlands, you owe it to yourself to take a drive through them this summer. I have been through them several times and always get an eerie feeling. I can “see” the indians in the hills fleeing for the “stronghold”. There is a lot of history regarding the Native Americans in the Hills. South Dakota to many is a deserted and dead place, but I find it and Wyoming to be one of the best places in the U.S.

kooty
    Keymaster

Quote:

Todays adventure was missing a yote at 300 yds running. shot 2″ behind. Official score for week now is yotes 3, Lance 0. Oh well, I plan on calling em in this weekend.

So you got 3 more shots, right?? 300 yards is close in that country. The trick is to lead them further. Sorry can’t help myself tonight. I’ve spent many hours west of Pierre cruising country roads looking for yotes.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.