SD Nonmeandered Water

• brad-o
    Participant
    Mankato

It looks like we finally have an agreement on this issue. Any lake over 40 acres will be open to the public provided there is public access and some under 40. This means you will not need a lawyer to fish Lynn, Middle Lynn, Swan, ext. Look for this to come to ND.

Eyeowa
    Participant
    Spirit Lake, Iowa

Very good news. Thanks.

mike-g
    Participant
    Bloomington,MN

Good news, indeed! Thanks for update!

Quintin Biermann
    Webster, South Dakota

This has not been set in stone yet no vote has even taken place yet on the issue. Right now we are more concerned with keeping non resident waterfowl license low so as to preserve our great waterfowl hunting. – QB

inskom
    Participant

Quote:

It looks like we finally have an agreement on this issue. Any lake over 40 acres will be open to the public provided there is public access and some under 40. This means you will not need a lawyer to fish Lynn, Middle Lynn, Swan, ext. Look for this to come to ND.

I don’t believe it. Where was the vote on this? Where is it set in law?
    Until proof is published or law documented, your post is just a hearsay rumor.

ckruse

As per the Supreme Court case of 2004 Parks v Cooper the SD Legislature was required to come up with a law. This bill has been almost 10 years in the making and by having some sportsman against it and some landowners against it, it must means its good for the majority. Looking at the sponsors for this bill it includes democrats and republicans from both the house and senate. Will it fit everyone? No. That is why there is a sunset clause in the last line for 2019. Realistically how often do we fish a under 40 acre slough? How long can a slough that size support fish unless it is really deep or fed by another body of water. Reading this bill it opens up the waters in Day County that seem to get closed when a good bite happens. You no longer have to fear getting stopped, ticketed, harassed by a landowner who does not want you traveling down their gravel road. There are a lot of large bodies of waters that will have to be opened up as per this bill. It states that they cannot close a road or put up a barricade like a tree or fence. Also reading the bill not every slough has to be shut down just those that have signage from the landowner that states no fishing. Does that prevent you from asking? No, just like hunting you can ask permission. Did I want this bill? No, but I am glad that everyone came to the table and found a comprise because last years bill was a lot worse for sportsman then this bill.

brad-o
    Participant
    Mankato

This keeps the door open. In a few years when this sunsets I feel would be the time to kick the door open. With all the crop farming on marginal ground, the land owners create run off this will prevent the waterline from receading. Not to mention the tilling. SD is looking like were I grew up in Iowa.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.