Webster/Waubay area quick report

• chomps
    Sioux City IA

Our crew usually gets out some place for a fall fishing trip. This year we decided to give the Webster/Waubay area a try. Thinking we would end up with some fat jumbo perch, we soon figured out that the wind on Bitter made it tough to get to where we wanted to go. We did catch some walleye and pike though. Went to spot #2 and ended the day strong. Saturday we just stuck to #2 and after a strong start, had a big lull in the action most of the day. Our first two walleyes were 25 1/2 and 25 both released, so we thought we’d have a dream day. The pike had moved in and you either had a rock or a pike. Late afternoon/early evening the hoot owls started sounding off in the woods and with the bright moon shining through the tree branches and the waves against the rocks with the owls, it was one of those really cool moments. The walleye would move in and out of the shallow rocks to soft bottom. Some had small bullheads in their bellies, most had minnows. Some runs were all over 20 inch fish, some had those just under 15 inchers, and the nice keeper slot fish were mixed in. Jigs and minnow, jigs and gulp white twisters, (slowly hopping through the rocks)even a slip bobber rig all had their spots. A big thank-you goes out to Quintin for setting us up at his place. He had enough beds downstairs for 8 and he is central in location, 11 miles north of Webster. We made sure the rest of his family were all fed well, and had a great time. Thanks Quintin!

Quintin Biermann
    Webster, South Dakota

A good time was had by all this past weekend. I am glad your crew got into the fish pete. That particular spot is a nice little gem. I cannot complain about petes crew feeding us tacos, steaks, and fish fry saturday night. Like pete said if you have a smaller group of guys coming out first ice give me a ring. I will be guiding with Corey Ewing of Waubay Lakes guide service this winter and we have alot of openings for anglers looking to get on the ice. I have some lodging as well as know of other good lodging available. November is pretty tight with family, chasing mallards, and whitetails. Do not hesitate to txt call or pm cell is 952 412 5092 – QB

p4walleye
    Rochester, MN

I miss SD. Outdoorsman heaven. Nice work all.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Quote:

I miss SD. Outdoorsman heaven. Nice work all.

For the record, you are not the only one…

scmelik
    South Dakota

Man I have got to get up there this year ice fishing. Its said I live less than two hours away from the Webster area and I never go. The sheer size of the lakes scares me, wouldn’t even know where to start, but I am going to get up there this year and punch some holes come hell or high water.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

Biggest time saver for us was a mapping chip in our handheld gps
    Look at the contours, read reports, and ask questions. Had a few awesome days of fishing not knowing what we were going to do

scmelik
    South Dakota

Quote:

Biggest time saver for us was a mapping chip in our handheld gps
    Look at the contours, read reports, and ask questions. Had a few awesome days of fishing not knowing what we were going to do

I have the Lakemaster software but for some reason it won’t open at all on my computer so that I can load lakes to my GPS, stupid unit doesn’t take a chip

moxie
    Sioux City,IA

That is a prized cooler..

chomps
    Sioux City IA

Quote:

That is a prized cooler..

that was the second day, the first evening was just as full, but had a few really nice pike. Getting them ready to pickle this weekend.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.