SD reports?

• Jeff Schomaker
    Participant

Where are all the SD reports? Really wanting to go up this weekend but don’t know if it would be worth it with the incoming cold front. Anyone have any input? Thanks

garragelogic
    Participant
    Wayzata, MN

Just got back from 3 days on Waubay and it was really slow. Saw a lot of fish on the camera swim right on by. Tried everything, but they were very tight lipped.

tornadochaser
    Participant

Lots of lakes have good bites right now. Bitter, Waubay, and Poinsett are getting the heaviest pressure, along with a slough or two, but I’ve seen nothing from bitter or waubay that would make me want to start with either of those lakes. There are so many lakes a guy can pick and find fish on, why go to where the crowds are?

Also, be mindful that there are closures of water over private land starting to occur. 10 lakes/sloughs with partial or complete closures, and more on deck. you can find that information on the map here, and more information at the GFP website.
    http://sdgfp.maps.arcgis.com/apps/StoryMapBasic/index.html?appid=6106051f86c04a6988a51f9d7e992707

youngfry
    Participant
    Northeast Iowa

My turn to beg for info. Heading out next week. Staying on Waubay for 3.5 days. Sounds like access and mobility are limiting factors… but that is all anyone is talking about. Not much info on the bite. Anything happening?

PS, yes I know this thread is over a year old but… waste not.

tornadochaser
    Participant

My turn to beg for info. Heading out next week. Staying on Waubay for 3.5 days. Sounds like access and mobility are limiting factors… but that is all anyone is talking about. Not much info on the bite. Anything happening?

PS, yes I know this thread is over a year old but… waste not.

Postpone your trip until after the snow starts to melt. Seriously. You’ll have much better action.

Pailofperch
    Participant
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Some guys I know we’re on Poinsette, dry, and Thompson last week with sleds. Said moving around was miserable, and they didn’t catch much. I’d agree with tornadochaser.

reddog
    Participant

Here’s a hint.. When you get to interstate 90/29 intersection, don’t go north.

youngfry
    Participant
    Northeast Iowa

Would love to postpone for a couple weeks but not a possibility with the group. Sounds like a good time though! jester shock

youngfry
    Participant
    Northeast Iowa

Well the reports about lots of snow etc were not wrong. But we did just fine fishing-wise. Had to cut our time from 3 days to 2 because of the weekend storm so we only fished thur and fri but ended up catching enough perch and gills for everyone to take fish home. Fished Big Stone because that was the easiest access and most consistent bite from all the information we were given. But for now you better have a sled or something with tracks if you’re headed to this area fishing. Or you can walk easily enough. Snow is rock hard on the lakes.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.