Scouting

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

How many here begin there scouting now? I’m watching a big piece of public land that’s new to me. I have been out there a couple times in the last 2 weeks more or less scouting to see where the bucks have been and what they have been feeding on. I located 2 different bucks and near 100 doe, all have been bedded and feeding near pines. I’m hoping to stay close with them and keep them pin pointed until bow season. But also not to many new tracks in to the woods. Any one else start early scouting or do you wait until season

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’ll do some scouting now once the snowpack is down and walking is easy. I’m not too concerned with where the deer are on their feet now, as I don’t think their location now is indicative of where they will be in the fall. I’m looking primarily for rub lines, travel corridors and bedding areas. And I guess sheds, but I’m still not sure they exist whistling rotflol

Jeff Schomaker

Im with BW. Right now I am looking for the mysterious shed everyone speaks of. But I end up primarily scouting for new stand locations, and looking for scrapes and rubs. A lot of the big scrapes you find that are the size of a car hood are typically used year after year. So always keep those in mind. Right now deer are in their wintering areas. So take where you see deer with a grain of salt. They will travel miles back to their fall rutting areas.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I am also with BW. Burned myself last year by doing way too much winter scouting and not enough spring/summer. Wait until the snow melts looks for trails used last season/sign made last season. And build on that throughout the summer into fall. You should be hot on them by opening day and be in the game. I will be starting this weekend to look at some new stuff im interested in. Also have an arrow to find once that area melts coffee

Just one more note the reason you are finding them in pines is most likely due to easier walking based on a lot less snow on the ground in them.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

For hunting, I would at attention to where the does are dropping fawns late May and feeding through summer. When they are still in wintering herds, you don’t get a true idea of how/where they disperse to

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I completely understand that they will keep moving and they are in the wintering groups right now. But I’m watching for sign and keeping a eye on that movement. Trying to keep watch and keep them in my sites. Mainly so I can keep up with the big buck. I know where he is now and I want to keep with him this early summer and hope to connect this early bow season.
    I did a class with Dan infault from Hunting beast. And I learned alot of neat stuff I hope I can put in to the field

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I did a class with Dan infault from Hunting beast. And I learned alot of neat stuff I hope I can put in to the field

Thats awesome! I was really considering that class. I watch all of his videos on youtube and have learned a ton about being successful on public.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

Thats awesome! I was really considering that class. I watch all of his videos on youtube and have learned a ton about being successful on public.

It wasn’t cheap and it wasn’t a short drive from home but it was awesome

Justin riegel

I wish you would have posted on here about it, I would have joined. I have wanted to do it, but was looking for someone to join. From previous conversations we probably hunt the same public stuff. let me know if you ever want to get out for a scout together.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

I wish you would have posted on here about it, I would have joined. I have wanted to do it, but was looking for someone to join. From previous conversations we probably hunt the same public stuff. let me know if you ever want to get out for a scout together.

Whoa let a guy know if you need another guy to tag along with.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I try to go play in the woods weekly. If you two ever want to come out, just shoot me a call text or message here. I’m always on board for new hunting buddies

Remote63

I go there 2-3 days prior to road closures, then i Scout! Summer scouting will net you little!. A couple days before road closure would allow you to go places and see land you may have to go a long ways to see otherwise. How many and what elk may not even be an option given the season.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.