Scheels Walleye Series Rods

• Jeff K

Anyone have experience with these? Good/bad. How’s it feel? The price doesn’t seem too bad at $120.00. Are they worth it? Should I buy something better? Looking to for another rod to add for jig fishing, I currently use a St. Croix Triumph. Any suggestions are welcome,

igotone

I tried one a two years ago, and exchanged it for a St. Croix Eyecon.
    price was about the same at the time. Did not care for the reel seat on the Scheel’s rod. Maybe they have changed it.
    Scheel’s has GREAT customer service, so it was not an issue at all to try it for a month and exchange it.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

I had 2 at one time never really did like the feel of the rod maybe being spoiled by StCroix Legends had something to do with it. It just felt dead to me feeling lighter presentations was very difficult, if one fishes heavier jigs 3/8 and above I think would do good.

jgross
    Northeast SD

They are nice and their warranty is unmatched! They replace broken rods no questions asked free of charge.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I like the walleye series, tournament, and even the guide series for certain applications. They have many actions and lengths and the warranty is better than any others. They go on sale 20% off a couple times per Spring.

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

Just picked up the 6’9″ MXF two days ago. Got them to honor the 20% off deal that ended last weekend.

I will say, I had to sort through the rods to find one with guides mounted straight. Most of the rods had 1 or 2 guides that werent quite perpindicular to the blank. Found a good one though.

Morel King
    PLAINVIEW MN

Good rods great warranties , all that said still not impressed with the action ,way too stiff . i am still looking for a number 1 rod

Jeff K

Thanks for the replies. Any suggestions as to what rod would work best for jigging that’s under $200?

sktrwx2200

St Croix Avid. 6’3 Medium Extra Fast. $190. AVS63MXF killer jigging rod. Best bang for your buck Croix rod out there. Good balance of cost and performance.

Will run circles around every Scheels rod except the SCHEELS ONE rod.. that one is pretty decent.

igotone

St. Croix Avid, find the length and action you like.
    Might have to pick up on sale to stay around $200.00

They also have a very good warranty, not as easy as Scheel’s rods.
    Would have to be sent in, even if you get it at Scheels, but if you do get it there they will sent it in for you. Did one for a friend a couple summers ago and it cost less then $12.00 and Scheels call me when it came back. Like I or others said GREAT customer service!!!
    I have heard if they have another one on hand they may send you right out the door with another one.
    But they do carry a life time warranty I believe.
    The St. Croix eyecon rods are five years.

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

St Croix Avid 6’9″ MLXF. This one is hard to beat at $200 for pitching 1/4 or less jig/plastics. Can pitch 1/4 blades as well.

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

I would take a close look at the St. Croix warranty. Rod must be sent to the factory with a check. They look it over and determine how it broke. It’s the same with Fenwick. I dont know if they reimburse shipping and return the check if rhey deem the problem to be manufacture defect. You would be out shipping costs to use said Lifetime Warranty.

I broke my Fenwick EliteTech’s tip and the warranty would have replaced the rod for $90 after all expenses paid. Maybe not quite so bad being it was my fault, but to rich for my blood being the rod is still fish able. Scheels would only assist in shipping the rod. Fenwick and St. CROIX have the final say in how the rod broke and Scheels won’t be on the hook for a turned down warranty.

Keep your receipt too. Both warranties require it to get the max payout. St. Croix even requires you to register the rod for warranty.

I bought the Scheels rod based on the over-the-counter warranty. Definitely wasn’t my first choice of rods, but after seeing the hoops needed to jump through with the others in the $100-$200 range, I’ll stick local. Time may tell if Scheels is good for the warranty. The tags say Lifetime on manufacturer defects. Perhaps the days of no questions asked are long gone.

404 ERROR
    MN

The Scheels rods are very nice, but you can’t go off what the rod says the action and power is. They are generally a bit stiffer of a rod compared to some others. I found the Tournament series 7’6″ ML to be somewhere in between a M and ML with a bit slower than fast action. They’re a decent rod with an absolutely fantastic warranty. If you beat the crap out of your gear, you found the rod and company to cover your destructive behavior.
    jester

sktrwx2200

I bought the Scheels rod based on the over-the-counter warranty. Definitely wasn’t my first choice of rods, but after seeing the hoops needed to jump through with the others in the $100-$200 range, I’ll stick local. Time may tell if Scheels is good for the warranty. The tags say Lifetime on manufacturer defects. Perhaps the days of no questions asked are long gone.

If by “staying local” you mean China… I didnt know scheels had a store over there.. lol. Most Croix and Loomis are made in the USA.. so that is “staying local”

All kidding aside.. if your shopping for a new rod based on “warranty” instead of rod action and performance… your barking up the wrong tree.

I dont understand why people throw around warranty so much… If you bought a new 80″ TV and your kid threw a baseball threw the screen week 1.. Do you think SONY or whoever should pay to have your TV replaced for you?
    Cant possibly have a high modulus rod that can withstand blunt force or abuse. Its just not possible.
    If you slam a cooler on your new rod.. I dont see how that is anyone’s loss but yourself. If there is ever any “manufactures defect” they replace it every time for no cost. Sure accidents happen.. Thats why if it is your fault on the damage, they take up some of the cost of getting you new one.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.