Saylorville Lake 04-02-05

• dm5000
    Des Moines, IA

What an absolutely gorgeous day to be out doing anything. Somehow, Ivan, Darrin and I managed a few hours out at Saylorville this afternoon. The conditions at Sandpiper were anything but optimal: The wind was nearly flat and blowing in the wrong direction and the water was still a bit too cool (I would guess 48/49).

Ivan landed the first and largest fish of the day. He won a lengthy battle with an impressive Cyprinu carpio. Apparently he is a master with a Beetle Spin.

We all walked down the beach around 1:00 and I walked off about 3:30. About 10 minutes before I left (my 10th “one last cast”), I landed my only fish for the day, a nice fat and healthy white bass. They are there and feeding, but without the wind to move the shad into the shallows, whites were hard to come by. Nevermind, that one little white bass gave me more joy then the next 50 I will catch. The first fish of the year has that magic.

It’s a little silly to announce the “hot lure” when you only land one fish, but all my strikes (and only fish) came on a ¼ sliver Kastmaster with a white bucktail. This one isn’t actually a Kastmaster brand, but is a Cabela’s knock-off. I don’t think any of the retail stores here carry Kastmasters with bucktails so I think I’m going to pickup half a dozen with my next Cabela’s order. Is it logical to conclude that the Cabela’s version is superior to a regular Kastmasters based on one fish? No, but logic has very little to do with it….

Thanks for joining me today guys… we will clobber ‘em next time….

Dave

nirrad
    Des Moines, Iowa

well I may not have landed anything, but I did hold the camera steady at least I had a great time, and I almost actually caught a fish on Saylorville. Thanks again for the invite.

dm5000
    Des Moines, IA

photo

dm5000
    Des Moines, IA

CIA

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.