Saylorville Resevoir, IA 09-19-04

• dm5000
    Des Moines, IA

The conditions were right for whites today with a stiff wind out of the south. However, it was a mediocre day at best. I had about 15 whites and one dink walleye. That might not seem bad except it is about ½ the usual total in twice the fishing time. I stayed out longer then I usually would looking for a decent school but never really got into one. I would get 3 or 4 then nothing.

It’s probably my own fault for sticking with a singular method in a singular area. If I gone with my usual mantra of “try something radically different” when things are slow, perhaps it would have been another big day.

I would love to hear from someone who had a big day on the Ville today… where and what method?

Dave

zamer
    Grimes, Iowa

I was out in the afternoon and the conditions were perfect for the whites, but I couldn’t find a school either. Caught a few but not like I expected. What area were you fishing?

dm5000
    Des Moines, IA

I fished McBride Point up to just north of the Sandpiper Beach. It had been good all summer.

I did notice a huge number of large shad along this stretch of beach. They were popping out of the water all over the place. Much too large to be forage for anything except the occasional northern.

Perhaps they were crowding out the forage shad and whites. I dont have any other explanation.

Where were you fishing?
    Dave

bradw
    Ankeny, IA

A friend and I went out from about 3 to 6:30 and got 19 fish between us. I too was hoping for a killer day, but couldn’t find any solid activty and found it too windy for my little boat in the open areas. So, I settled back into Marina Cove and ended up picking up several in there.

I know some people get annoyed when they catch something other than what they are targeting, but we weren’t picky… So, when my buddy landed an 18″ channel cat, we were pretty excited. Then on my next cast, I got a 20″ cat. Then we got a couple more whites and before it died down, I pulled in a 24″ 7 lbs. channel cat. Made for a great day for us! The biggest white was 12.5″.

Unfortunately we didn’t have a camera…seems like I’d learn.

james
    Ankeny Iowa

Well Dave that seems to be the way things are going out there. I was out Fri. for about 4 hours and ended up with a mixed bag also. Did manage to get 7 whites 2 wipers 2 SM bass with one about 14 1/2 in. one crappie and one walleye.Talked to Don and he was skunked and Bill was working on number 4 when I left. Did have one on that took a new rattle trap . Had him on for about 30 seconds when he cut me off. I was using 6 lb fire line. I think it was a northern but don’t know. All I know is fire line don’t brake easy so he must have cut it somehow. Bill did get a 8.6 lb cat that put up a good fight. Well see you out there . I need to try the nite bite soon. Jim

lebruce
    C.R. Iowa

What’s the crappie fishing like on Saylorville and what size is ave. on them?

dm5000
    Des Moines, IA

Wow.. Looks like everybody shot craps. Jim, I also use 6lb Fireline and you are right; that was no white bass that broke it. Not that they dont put up a terrific fight…

Any theories on why the action died off? No cold front, it was downright hot this weekend.

I may get out for some shore action midweek. I will post the results here. Im hoping this doesnt last long.

Dave

andycraig
    Iowa City, Iowa

Hi all,

Sounds like a few more walleyes are turning up here and ther on the ville.

I don’t mean to change the subject, but there is no Three Mile Lake thread on this site. Anybody been to three mile lately or heard any reports?? Going this weekend for walleyes. Any info would be great.

thanks,

andy

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.