Savage 220

• fishinfreaks
    Participant
    Rogers, MN

Trying to help my hunting partner find a Savage 220. Anyone know of any around? TIA

buddah6
    Participant

Here ya go..

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20211013-215920_Chrome-scaled.jpg

Dan
    Participant
    Southeast MN

That’s a good price! I had a lot of trouble finding one too and finally got one about a month ago at Scheels in Rochester when I got a hot tip that they had gotten a bunch in. Ammo on the other hand….to be determined…

fishinfreaks
    Participant
    Rogers, MN

Here ya go..

Thanks, BH! I didn’t see that available last night when I looked at Sportsmans.

ThunderLund78
    Participant

Agree on the ammo statement and I’m not sure for this particular gun that it will ever get better. Slug Hunting, while it’s all I’ve ever known growing up in southern MN, is sort of a niche thing and very area specific. Federal, Hornady and Remington all make sabot slugs for these and they were hard to come by before COVID. Now you really have to be on-top of it. Not impossible but be prepared to spend some time and effort searching.

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

It is almost depressing to think about trying to get enough ammo to sight in and accuracy test a new rifle or slug gun these days. Pretty much have to be prepared to just shoot any ammo that will go bang and live with the results.

I reload, but the lack of components has forced me to put off the purchase of a new plains game rifle for almost 2 years now. Ug.

If any members are in the east metro and need scope mounting and bore sighting to save ammo when sighting in, get in touch. Happy to help.

disco bobber
    Participant

Agree on the ammo statement and I’m not sure for this particular gun that it will ever get better. Slug Hunting, while it’s all I’ve ever known growing up in southern MN, is sort of a niche thing and very area specific. Federal, Hornady and Remington all make sabot slugs for these and they were hard to come by before COVID. Now you really have to be on-top of it. Not impossible but be prepared to spend some time and effort searching.

With several big slug states allowing straight-wall calibers or eliminating slug zones it will become a smaller and smaller market. Muzzleloaders are getting better as well.

A week ago they had a camo version at Scheels in Bismarck. Did you check St Cloud Scheels?

Stanley
    Participant

I bought one this summer for my wife and got it sighted in a few weeks ago. They are very accurate guns and not too much recoil. I had slugs before we bought this gun since that’s the area we hunt but it has been very difficult to find more over the last few months. I put a leupold vx freedom 3-9×40 scope on it due to limited options available and I will say the glass is decent but the turrets are garbage. Very mushy to the point it was hard to tell the clicks and no point of reference on the base to see where you started at. If it wasn’t for the ammo issue I would have returned it and got something better.

ThunderLund78
    Participant

With several big slug states allowing straight-wall calibers or eliminating slug zones it will become a smaller and smaller market. Muzzleloaders are getting better as well.

It’s a bummer, the 220 is a great platform. I have a buddy who has some land up by Mora and we’ve talked about the possibility of me joining him for a weekend and he said he had a rifle I could borrow. But given the mostly wooded terrain, I told him I’d just hunt my 220. I can put a 4-shot grouping within 4″ at 100 yds. and I don’t think I’d ever have a shot longer than that in his woods.

TH
    Participant

I hope this isn’t breaking any rules but I have these. I’m in the Deerwood area if anyone needs them, I don’t need them. I’m thinking $25 a box.

Attachments:
    1. 785DBD80-4D84-440B-8641-7FE20264D3A1-scaled.jpeg

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

A buddy of mine picked one up in Wabasha, MN at Big River Outdoors Gunsmithing. I’m not sure if the place currently has the slugs, but the last time I was in there he had a few boxes and would rig everything up for you. I’d bet he’d help with the sighting process to minimize # of shots needed and to get you comfortable.

The owner is beyond knowledgeable and actually builds his own muzzleloaders on site with tons of experience and education. The stuff he builds isn’t for just shooting a few hundred yards…but for distances further than I can ever imagine even locating a target.

Walleyeguy34
    Participant

Your gonna want to use a sabot slug with the 220 as it does have a rifled barrel on it. I use the remington accutips and they have performed extremely well and have very consistent groupings at 100+Yds

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.