Sauk Lake

• fishingadam54
    Participant

Does anyone have any current ice and lake conditions on Sauk Lake? Fishing Report?

walldows
    Participant

My dad was fishing the north end up until the last snow they got. He tried to get to his house on Monday and spent more time digging out his truck then driving. The crappie bite has been really good. The last time he was out he had 9 inches of ice under his house.

fishingadam54
    Participant

Thanks for the report…I checked it out for myself yesterday and your right about the snow. I was able to get out on the main lake from the north access and ended up catching 4 small walleyes right around sun set. 13″ of ice but lots of flooding when you cut your holes.

walldows
    Participant

So no roads plowed out yet? Trying to decide if I want to go there for the weekend or not. Thanks for the update.

fishingadam54
    Participant

Yea someone plowed some roads out of the north access, nothing out of the South access. You can off road it but there are drifts you have to watch out for. I’ll be trying it again tomorrow

walldows
    Participant

My Dad’s buddy plowed a road out to Hoopers the other day but fishing has not been good there either. Good luck today.

Pailofperch
    Participant
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Denny Fletcher of Fletcher’s bait usually plows some roads out of the accesses. His shop is on the west end of town. I was working near the bridge on 71 today and the snow was plowed out. Probably out to the Hoopers and Dutchmens areas.

walldows
    Participant

Fishingadam54, have you had a chance to get back out on Sauk?

fishingadam54
    Participant

Made it out last Friday and it was slow. Went out of the south access as there was a nice plowed trail for the first mile, then we bombed it out to our spot from there. Beautiful day to be out so no complaints

walldows
    Participant

Have you been out on Sauk lately? Thinking of heading out there on Sunday.

walldows
    Participant

Just an FYI Denny does not plow roads any longer. Big Jim from Big Sauk resorts plows the road off of HWY 71 to Hoppers.

Pailofperch
    Participant

Just an FYI Denny does not plow roads any longer. Big Jim from Big Sauk resorts plows the road off of HWY 71 to Hoppers.

Yes, I actually spoke with Denny today, and that came up. He’s had alot of tough health lately doesn’t do much outside work.

walldows
    Participant

Have either of you been out on Sauk lately? More wondering what the driving conditions are like.

Pailofperch
    Participant

I’ll drive by tomorrow. But haven’t been on lately. If you call Fletcher’s bait, they’ll help you also. Or Big Sauk Resort.

Fletcher’s: 320-352-2155
    Big Sauk: 320-352-2510

walldows
    Participant

I am a long time friend of the Fletchers. All of their fishing reports are second hand reports from guys coming into the shop. As the Fletchers have no time in the winter to actually go out fishing. Was looking for some first hand reports from someone that is actually out fishing.

walldows
    Participant

And as far as Big Jim at Bis Sauk resort he is a bullshitter if I have ever talked to a bullshitter.

fishingadam54
    Participant

I haven’t been out there since New years…but I stoped at Fletcher’s a couple weeks ago for some shinners and he said the fishing on Big Sauk has been terrible this year. I drove by the south access and there was some plowed roads…how far they go I couldn’t tell ya.

walldows
    Participant

Since you guys actually reply back. Have either of you been to Osakis recently? My Dad has been fishing Sauk lately and has been catching fish every other night he goes. He has been fishing off of the Hwy 71 access. I haven’t been to Osakis all winter and getting a itch to go there.

Pailofperch
    Participant

Sorry I never made it to Sauk. I did get out on Osakis on Friday. It was near white out during the snow. I didn’t move around to much, but most holes had fish. Was fishing 14′-19′. Caught lots of 6-7 inch Gills. Got enough better ones to eat with a few crappie. There was some trails to follow, but the snow was making it almost impossible to see. So I can’t say if there was good roads or not! There were alot of wheelhouses out yet that would have come off, and maybe that made the paths better. I didn’t find any slush, but plenty of snow, and lots of ice.

walldows
    Participant

Thanks for the reply. Still up in the air about going out this weekend with the storm that is suppose to hit on Saturday. Will post if I get out.

Pailofperch
    Participant

I’m going somewhere tomorrow. Either Osakis, or down to Big Stone. Gonna be to nice not to go.

zooks
    Participant

I’m going somewhere tomorrow. Either Osakis, or down to Big Stone. Gonna be to nice not to go.

If you’re going to Big Stone, to my knowledge Schmidt’s Landing has the only road open at this point and I’d give them a call before you go.

Pailofperch
    Participant

If you’re going to Big Stone, to my knowledge Schmidt’s Landing has the only road open at this point and I’d give them a call before you go.

Yep, I’ve been keeping up with the mess down there. I’ve got an area I want to hit. If I go, I’m planning on stopping at Artie’s to see the closest roads. Might just have to hoof it and stay light. Or go where the roads take me n make the best of it.

walldows
    Participant

I had planned on heading to Big Stone the beginning of this week but with the snow that is coming going to wait until hopefully next weekend

walldows
    Participant

Don’t know if either of you are still ice fishing but last Sunday on the north end of Osakis was crazy good. Had to sort the sunfish, the crappies where coming in 5 feet under the ice and biting really well. I put my ice fishing stuff away this week now wait until the boat can go.

fishingadam54
    Participant

Which access did you use? How was it holding up?Might give it one more try Sunday .

Pailofperch
    Participant

I was on N end of Osakis also last weekend. Lots of catching, some keeping. Might not get back out. If anyone does please share conditions. It was getting messy last week.

Pailofperch
    Participant

I used the gravel road access on west side of north end. 145th Ave.

walldows
    Participant

Did you get out on Sunday? If you did how was it?

mojocandy101
    Participant
    Alexandria, MN

We went out Sunday morning for a bit. Bite was very slow for us. Tried 7′ to 25′ with only a couple sunnies and i crappie to show. Lots of people… Unless someone builds a bridge we wont be getting out soon.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.