Saganaga Lake

• maddogg
    Participant

Are there any lodges or resorts on the Canadian side on Big Saganaga Lake?

bigpike
    Participant

The only thing on the Canadien side is Quetico canoeing park that I am aware of

tegg
    Participant
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

There might be something on Northern Light Lake. I don’t think there’s anything on Sag.

Brad Muckenhirn
    Participant

Wondering if we can gather some weight behind this subject and get some talkers on Sag! Trying to find some good info regarding best reefs and humps to fish!

xplorer
    Participant
    Cloquet, MN

What species? And summer or winter?
    I used to tent camp at Trails end and day trip into Sag in summer for eyes/smallies when I had a smaller boat, and have stayed at VCO in winter and snowmobiled up the Sag corridor and walked in to fish for lakers.
    If you want the short lesson on fishing Sag/Northern Light for eyes, hire one of the guides from Mike Berg’s Seagull Creek Fish Camp.

dirtywater
    Participant

Pretty sure Sagonto is all she wrote.

X2 what xplorer said. My boat was literally bought for sag and basswood. I have fished sag the last 3 years and haven’t really figured the walleye bite out. Probably hiring a guide this year to cut the learning curve. Have had some success trolling for lake trout pretty much all over the motor zone.

dirtywater
    Participant

Not sure about lodges on the Canadian side other than Northern Lights Lodge on the lake by the same name. As for Sag, it is an extremely tough nut to crack, with a learning curve that can take years, and sadly not nearly (or even close) to the trophy factory it once was. Many locals blame smallmouth bass, but whatever the cause the number of big fish has declined dramatically since the early 90’s. But, as mentioned above, Mike Berg, or one of his guides, can put you on them. Sag isn’t chipped, but if you search Google you’ll find a couple paper maps you can make copies of to help you get around. Go slow, Sag got as big as she is by eating props! LOL

Nice fish there.

FWIW, current garmin/navionics has 1 foot contours for everything up to the Canadian border, but they are far from accurate in my experience.

cbeeksma
    Participant
    Delta, WI

Have not fished Sag but if you want inexpensive lodging…good food at a restaurant on site….big walleyes and excellent fishing for smallies and lake trout…Northern Lights Lake is fantastic…..

Gitchi Gummi
    Participant

I spent a week up on Sag at the end of last May. As others have said, it is a tough nut to crack for walleyes. We did not have much luck, especially compared to the success we’ve had in other bwca lakes around the same time.

I will mention for those of you in motor boats, please give the canoers as much room as possible when passing. Nothing like almost getting your canoe swamped every time a motor boat buzzes by. Canoers don’t have the ability to easily and quickly change course like a motor boat does. Usually the outfitters giving tows will give plenty of room when passing by but others are not as diligent.

Brad Muckenhirn
    Participant

How is Basswood? That’s on my radar. I bought my boat for the same exact reason. Mainly for Sag but I’d like to get out to Bass. Just need more time in my life.

Brad Muckenhirn
    Participant

Early Spring/Summer. Shooting for the elusive 30″ walleye

dirtywater
    Participant

How is Basswood? That’s on my radar. I bought my boat for the same exact reason. Mainly for Sag but I’d like to get out to Bass. Just need more time in my life.

The issue I have with basswood is accessibility. I have fished it on day use motor permits the last couple years and done well, but good lord it’s a haul. Good boat ride down the moose chain, then dealing with potential long line at prairie portage, it’s hard to get to the spots I really want to fish before 9-930am which is hours behind my usual schedule. Then you gotta be back to PP before it closes, so no night bite. I probably won’t be doing that again this year. If I can get a camping group together that would change things.

fasteddy
    Participant

Have been going to a friend’s place on Saganaga for 25 years. Saganaga was a great lake to fish 10 years ago but for some reason the fish are much tougher to find. Hence the reduced bag limit and new slot limits enforced. They used to have a place called “Powells” which was right on the border of Min-Can and I’ve heard that it is under new management–it also is very close to Sagonto. The last 10 years we have been portaging in Northern Lights Lake. It is a great lake to fish.

dirtywater
    Participant

Have been going to a friend’s place on Saganaga for 25 years. Saganaga was a great lake to fish 10 years ago but for some reason the fish are much tougher to find. Hence the reduced bag limit and new slot limits enforced. They used to have a place called “Powells” which was right on the border of Min-Can and I’ve heard that it is under new management–it also is very close to Sagonto. The last 10 years we have been portaging in Northern Lights Lake. It is a great lake to fish.

Do you bring your own portage wheels or how do you manage that portage into NL? Assuming you’re using a 16ft tin boat with a 25? That’s what I’m running and haven’t found a set of wheels that would work for me. What is the actual portage like? Assuming you go up the NE arm of sag?

tim hurley
    Participant

Would love to camp at Basswood-I would consider a trip-such a great fishery.

fasteddy
    Participant

If you’re interested in the portage wheels we used bump me by email and I’ll give you more info.
    [email protected]

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.