Anoka – Rum River Dam

• trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

Anyone tried fishing below the dam in Anoka? Hoping to find open water in Nov. with chance of catching an eye or two.

Thanks
    Pete

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Hi,

From my experience, the tailwater area is really snaggy, but I do see people fishing there quite a bit. There is a nice fishing area on the South side of the river near the dam.

Good luck!

692fisherman
    champlin mn

water gets real skinny, go with a small boat!!!

Mos’

I know its been a few years but to get this topic restarted I am just wondering if anyone has found any pattern to the walleye late May into June around here.. I ask because there are sure plenty of walleye in April below the dam that “cat-fishing” with jigs a guy can really get into them.

With how great a fishery Pools south of here are on the Mississippi and how many walleye are by the Rum dam in the spring you would think a guy could find these fish after they move back out of the Rum. I have lindy’d, cranked, jigged from just north of the 169 Bridge down towards the CR dam. you have current, deeper water and on paper it looks like it should be solid. I have had good days with smallies, pike sporadically but in season I can count the walleye on one hand. My best afternoon was a 2 walleye under the bridge ordeal. Do you guys think these fish move further north or just enough to eat in the river where its hard to get them to bite? More curious then anything!

fishmantim

I have fished that stretch for quite a few years and for the life of me have never been able to put a pattern together..normally get one or two wallys and that’s it. I have started moving farther north past the bridge..gotta be cautious though if you want to keep your lower unit…not the place to go blasting through. I have found the cat fishing pretty good after dark in the Rum/Miss area using cut bait..good sized Channels. I personally think the fishing gets worse the farther south you go..thats just me though..more of a recreation (tubing, wakeboarding) area.

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

The few evenings I’ve tried fishing the dock area below the dam, it’s always the same thing; 20 people fishing and only one or two walleyes caught, usually dragging cranks across the current.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Fish in that pool I find to be very nocturnal. The main forage is also bullheads IMO, so adjust accordingly.

Mos’

Agree on the evening thing. Fish in that area seem to turn on at sunset. Surprising with the darker water!

fishmantim

Think there is just so much boat traffic during the day they go lay up in their holes..funny after dark all the gulping and slapping you hear on the water when the flies come out.

watisituya
    North Metro

IMO That whole stretch all the way down to Coon Rapids has always produced better late into the night when it is quiet. Those are some spooky fish.

Smackem33

What do you throw at em at night? Figured they shut down at dark cause of the dirty water. Gonna have to give that a go after work one of these days

Mos’

Is the launch below the dam in downtown Anoka usable? Dock in? I have been seeing all the issues Pool 2 is having with accesses and wondering if there is the same problem here. Wanting to get the boat out on the Mississippi this weekend if possible

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.