Rum River Question

• Rick Z
    Participant
    Stark MN

So I live on the Rum River in Isanti. I have a small fishing boat that I plan to use this summer to try out the river that I can launch right from my property. What are the best tactics for catching Walleye and Pike in the Rum and what is the best time of year to try it?

Thanks!

Rick

Dave maze
    Participant
    Isanti

Look for the current seams by log jams or corners. Jigs or small cranks are best. It can be good any time of year. The fish move constantly and are real spooky. Good luck, I’m sure I’ll see ya out there.

dbright
    Participant
    Cambridge

Fishing deeper wood will produce eyes. Dragging jigs with plastics work great for pitching in the wood. For pike fish slack water or any weeds you find.

basseyes
    Participant

Big willow spinner baits slow rolled off any shoreline cover such as wood or sand current breaks. Color isn’t really critical but white and shad colors are a good place to start. Way more smallies than anything in the rum and some tanks. Wood is the predominant structure fish relate to. We just beat the bank with just about anything and you’ll catch something. A shad rap is hard to beat but you might loose a few. Lots of tubers in the summer. Lots of deer flies as well. Some guys troll right down the middle and have good luck on bigger pike. Never had a great jig bite or huge numbers of walleyes but they are in there. Just never spent the time with jigs when cast and retrieve baits covers water so much faster. What Dave said is spot on, the fish can be spooky and always seem to be moving. Any sharper bend on the river with a deeper hole will hold all kinds of fish. Lots of suckers nibbling if you use any kind of bait. There are some good sized suckers in the river too. Good luck with it and throw up a report when you make it out.

Rick Z
    Participant
    Stark MN

That’s great! Thank you!!

Sam
    Participant
    St.Francis

Lots of pike on the rum it’s fun to explore all the little backwaters​. They hit anything too. I like using red and white Daredevils​ and chrome ones too

Nik Biebighauser
    Participant

Grabbed this guy on Rum two weeks back – I do not have a boat just casting off shore. First cast on a plain white spinner.

Attachments:
    1. SmallieOnRum.jpg

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.