Rum River / Fairgrounds

• Relgeiz

Hello,

I fished near the Anoka Fairgrounds last year without much luck. Is the Rum (above the dam) worth fishing or should I stick to below / closer to the Mississippi?

Not looking for anything specific, just something to catch.

Thank you

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

Lots of smallies and have heard of some walleye and northern. The fish are there and in decent numbers.

Relgeiz

Good to know, it must just be me! Guess I have some practice to do. )

Basseye651
    MN,BrooklynPark

Take a few adventure trip around the fairgrounds, and you’ll be golden, many good shore area to fish. Mornings are your best bet. I use to fish a ton there. Here my tip.. traintracks and find rocky shore lines. GL.

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

I would even tell you to go north more. Rum is some of the best skinny water smally fishing in the state in my opinion.

Also monster pike and a great walleye population. Just remember the rum starts at Mill Lacs.

Here is a report I did awhile back on canoe fishing the rum:

Rum River Report

NowthenJoe

I have to agree with Jakob. I spend a ton of time on the Rum in the summer time. Low fishing pressure and good pike and bass fishing. Once you make your first trip down, you will start learning the fish holding spots of the river.

One word of caution is that the Rum can rise quickly after a good storm. I keep my eyes on the DNR River Level webiste. There is a USGS survey station where Viking Blvd (22) crosses the Rum River.

I like to see the river level under 4 feet for my canoe in the particular stretch of river I fish. Last year, it was way high until almost mid summer. This year, with the limited snowpack, the river level has been perfect. I haven’t made it out yet, but plan to at least make one trip to see if I can find any river crappies. I have yet to catch one, but I have heard they are in there. It is pretty rare I can get out there in the spring time, so I am going to try to take advantage of it.

Horseflies can be treacherous in the summer.

dbright
    Cambridge

Most of the parks from Anoka to St Francis will offer decent shore fishing. I spend a decent amount of time fishing the rum between anoka and Walbo.

Relgeiz

I really appreciate the ideas and tips again, thanks!

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

River’s bend park just north of the fairgrounds has some good shore fishing.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.