Carp fishin newb

• doll0043
    Minneapolis

So other than the random carp here and there, I have never specifically targeted them before. I kayak fish often on calhoun and isles, and I know quite a few nice sized ones are in there. I’d like to hook into a nice runner and take a ride on my kayak. Does anyone have any tips to catching em on those lakes? Also, when do they start biting? I’ve got the itch for soft water fishing and I wondered how early I’d have any luck with em once the ice thaws…. Thanks for any info!

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

Right after ice out can be a great time to target carp in those lakes. They will usually be in the shallows where the water is the warmest. Alot of times you can see these fish surfacing or rutting around. Being sneaky is a must so a kayak would be a great option. Just park yourself a good cast distance away from active fish and you should be good to go. As far as baits you can try any variety of stuff: corn, oatmeal balls, boilies, bread, nightcrawlers, and even flyfishing can be great. Corn is probably the easiest route to go. Just gob as much as will fit on a smaller size octopus hook and weight the rig appropriately. If your fishing mucky or weedy areas a small float rigged above the hook works great to keep the bait slightly off the bottom. There are some true monsters in those lakes. Isles is probably your best bet for the really early bite. Hope this helps and good luck.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Small Mashmallows make great floats.

jwall

I mainly fish the rivers by my grandmas house and i use a medium action ugly stick w 20 pound powerpro with corn and nightcrawlers on a simple bottom rig

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Quote:

I mainly fish the rivers by my grandmas house and i use a medium action ugly stick w 20 pound powerpro with corn and nightcrawlers on a simple bottom rig

I do this too. Guilty pleasure

channelcatben
    South Minneapolis

Guilty pleasure? Please… don’t be a victim of carp insecurity. Chicks dig big carp.

These guys have covered most of the beginner’s bases. Carp can be simple or ridiculously complicated. Check out some European carp sites and you’ll see what I mean.

My favorite method for carp in the spring is sight-fishing. Where I fish, carp tend to follow the same paths in the water. It’s like deer trails, but for carp. I like to watch the carp, and figure out where these trails are. Then, like deer hunting, I’ll set up in a likely spot along one of those trails and wait them out. I like to wear camo or some sort of drab clothing, and don’t silhouette myself. Carp have good vision and they will spot you. Stealth is key. That’s what makes it so much fun.

doll0043
    Minneapolis

Sweet thanks for the advice guys, I’m just sittin here waitin for ice out!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.