Mr. Twisted Jaw

• castandblast
    Eau Claire, WI

I saw the coolest fish today in my local market. I just had to buy it and find out what it eats. Meet Mr. Twisted-Jaw Sheatfish (Belodontichthys truncates). I now know you won’t find me swimming in the Mekong. It doesn’t have much of a dorsal fin but its pectoral fins are huge and bulging with muscle at their base. I wonder if that is for speed and/or for long migratory runs.

It had one small minnow in its stomach about the size of a crappie minnow. You can guess what I will be trying to imitate with my next trip to the banks of the Mekong.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I think we may need a new forum just for you! Calling these rough fish/carp, seems a bit degrading. Amazing once again.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

That is one alien lookin’ critter……cool pics

It also looks like that dude might have bad breath caused by periodontal disease

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

Quote:

How did it taste?

well??????????

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Wow. That is a wicked looking fish.

Prestige
    Elgin, MN

I would not want to be swimming with that thing.

castandblast
    Eau Claire, WI

Quote:

How did it taste?

I don’t know yet. I just bought it ysterday and its in my freezer. I will grill it up sometime next week. My Lao workers tell me that they are delicious. Of course they like eating ant eggs, fermented fish, and rats, so whatever that means.

the_j-man
    St. Paul, MN

Thanks for posting those pics. That is one crazy looking fish.

prieser
    Byron, MN

Quote:

Quote:

How did it taste?

I don’t know yet. I just bought it ysterday and its in my freezer. I will grill it up sometime next week. My Lao workers tell me that they are delicious. Of course they like eating ant eggs, fermented fish, and rats, so whatever that means.

I would be back down to fighting weight if I had to eat that stuff.

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

No Sheet

Well I guess its six to one half a dozen to another

flaco651
    St. Paul's Westside

That thing looks mean!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.