Backyard Paddies

• castandblast
    Participant
    Eau Claire, WI

I think this will fall under the category of Non-Traditional, however, for the Lao this is very traditional.

I have a beautiful view outside my back porch of rice paddies. These paddies do contain small fish so this has obviously got my attention. My Lao workers were eager to help me catch some fish too, but it was a whole new method of fishing for me. Hey, I never said it was sportsmanlike but this is how things work here. I am thinking about taking my rod & reel to these paddies though.

You start by building a small earthen dam and then you drain a section of water channel with a bucket.

After the channel drains you then begin chasing fish in the mud and shallow water.

Why get dirty when someone else is willing to get dirty for you. I had my net out there catching fish too.

I counted 4 different species caught. 3-Spot Gourami, Fighting fish, Tilapia & small snakeheads. We caught about 30 fish in all. My intentions were to put them in my outdoor tank to be used later for bait. A couple of the 3-spots I put in my aquarium. I did happen to see a Swamp Eel too in another section but missed it with the net. I might try it later with worms on a hook. The water was actually somewhat clear.

Here is one of the Three Spot Gouramis. These were the most abundant fish. The reason they are called 3-spot is the spot at the base of the tail, one spot in the center and the eye is considered the third spot.

NickJohnson
    Participant

thats pretty cool looks like a bluegill but sorry fishing aint fishing in jan if you dont need an auger
    and can wear shorts but at 40 here on sat i may just wear my shorts

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

When in Rome… Man, as sick as it sounds, your white legs look great.

bennyj
    Participant
    sunrise mn

All I can say is your gonna need alot of those to make a meal!

Pretty neat to see different fish thats for sure.

Cool

DrewH
    Participant
    s/w WI.

I have kept those or a variety of them in aquariums only in blue or albino. Very interesting.

farmboy1
    Participant
    Mantorville, MN

Thanks for the continued reports, they are very interesting

eye_hunter
    Participant

I wonder if that is legal in the US. your just seperating water and catching fish with your hands.

Steven Krapfl
    Participant
    Springville, Iowa

Farmboy, you think the flathead would munch on those? I think they would! Nice report and thanks for expanding our fishing horizons with your posts. I always find them interesting.

farmboy1
    Participant
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

Farmboy, you think the flathead would munch on those? I think they would!

What do you mean, I live in MN, nothing is allowed here I would love to use sunfish, but uhhm, they are illegal….

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.