Remote Places

• castandblast
    Participant
    Eau Claire, WI

Hey Guys,

Because you asked for it, I will share my experience. My catch wasn’t too impressive but my experience sure was. Some are starting to call me the modern day Ernest Hemingway now. So here goes:

I just got back from a 2 day trip to a remote province. I was able to get a little fishing in along with a new lifelister even though it was small. I just did not get the time in fishing that I would have liked but the place was so scenic I thought you all might enjoy. I think if I could have spent more time out fishing I could have caught something more impressive for you all.

I gotta start with bamboo bridge. I was wondering if this bamboo bridge would hold my SUV and it did.

A trip up a remote river called Nam Hinboun. The water was really cold too.

A cool little catfish I caught. Hey, it’s a new lifelister: Hemibagrus Nemurus. This species gets up to 5 lbs.

One pitch of the cast net and we got all of these. I was using them for bait while the rest of them ended up in a soup for dinner.

We also had Striped Snakehead and Walking Catfish for dinner. The next day our target was the Striped Snakehead.

On day 2 we went out for the Splendid Snakehead. The means of getting to the fishing pond was kind of unique.

The view from this little pothole was cool. No snakehead on this trip but again I was hindered by little time. Mostly because of the culture I am in. It is a “we” culture and so it would be very unusual and rude for me to just venture off on my own when these people were hosting me.

We never got any but this is the water they were in. They were chasing minnows around in the thickest of cover and you could see them jumping among the Mangrove-looking habitat.

This was the family that hosted me.

To get this lifelister I had to endure many difficulties.

First, I had to eat “Padak” which is fermented fish and yes it’s guts and all. The next time you see a garbage at a fish cleaning house, remember me because I ate that. You know the garbage with flies all over it because it is reeking so bad. Well just let it sit out a couple of days for it to ferment or just pour vinager over it and eat it right away. It’s all the same.

Secondly, I had to sit through a wierd religious ceremony that is diabolically opposed to my own beliefs.

Not to mention: No electricity, no running water, Old ladies wondering if I’m single , everybody staring at me because I look so different, and difficulties with language.

But hey it’s a new lifelister!!!!

birddog
    Participant
    Mn.

Looks and sounds like quite the adventure! Someday…

BIRDDOG

ezwalt
    Participant
    MN

Castandblast,

I love reading your post, I check daily to see if there’s anything new that you’ve posted, keep it up and stay safe.

Scott

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

Looks like quite the adventure. I’ll take our -20s over fermented fish guts, I think

Ron Johnsen
    Participant
    Platteville wi

Great pics

ms75449
    Participant
    Lake City, MN

Very neat pictures. Thanks for sharing them!

jon_jordan
    Participant
    St. Paul, Mn

Thanks for the report! Very interesting.

-J.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Awesome, thanks for sharing!!!!

farmboy1
    Participant
    Mantorville, MN

Way Cool

eye_hunter
    Participant

yea, they really like the fish guts, they say it makes the soup a little more bitter, sometimes I dont get it either, my family does that alot. I just eat it because I’m so used to it, but I dont see how it is good. I guess the people there dont really have much meat to eat so they will eat whatever they can eat and not get sick. and those small fish, they love them too, There are videos of hmong people from laos catching the small fish with worms on a bamboo stick without any hooks. what they do is tie the worm to the stick and dip it in the water, when the fish bites it they just pull the fish out the water and let it drop into a bucket or something similiar. they say the smaller ones taste better…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.