Eel!!!!!!! Yes Eel!!

• outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

My buddy and I both have been targeting an eel for our lifelists for a couple years now and with all the night fishing on the St. Croix I do you would think I would have caught one.

But my buddy got his last night and this is for all the guys that would never let one in their boat.

Dog Fish

I am a lifelist fisherman as well. Eel sounds likes the toughest fish to get out on the Croix for sure. Can you catch Eels above the Taylors Falls Dam?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

What a cool fish

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Dancing with the Eel!

You are sick dude! )

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Brian Klawitter wrote:</div>
    Dancing with the Eel!

You are sick dude! )

…But BK it doesn’t have SCALES.!!!! All should be good.? laugh cool … rrr

Except it looks like a snake.

tonys

I am a lifelist fisherman as well. Eel sounds likes the toughest fish to get out on the Croix for sure. Can you catch Eels above the Taylors Falls Dam?

Holy thread resurrection!

Given the behavior of Eels I’m sure it would be possible to catch one above TF but pretty unlikely. Even in the lower Croix they are a pretty sporadic catch for most of us

Jonesy

Whats a lifelist fisherman?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Blackt (sorry your real name escapes me at the moment)

A “life lister” is a person that track every species they catch and add it to their “life list”

I had the opportunity to take a fella out that needed a lake and shovel nose sturgeon added to his HUGE life list. I don’t recall the number of species he had but it was amazing. Everything from minnows to all the catfish species and a number of different sturgeon.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Dog fish, they can be incredibly easy or very very difficult.

I’ve only caught two. Both were on Pool 4 and both were caught just after I was talking about the amazing animal called the Eel.

I sent out a fella for his first sturgeon fishing experience and his first bite was an eel.

Crawlers on the St Croix near rocks seem to work the best (at night). (although I’m not an eel expert by any means)

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

Wow like Tonys stated what a resurected post. Over 7 years old.

I would highly doubt there is a decent chance of catching one above Taylors falls. They are amazing but I highly doubt you would find any up there.

FishBlood…. the name of the person brian was responding to is called dogfish. Brian is talking about 2 eels in his boat. =)

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I’ve only caught two.

When do you want to go? I probably boated over a hundred on cannon lake last year.

2 is just about 2 too many for me, thanks.

I do know someone that is dying to catch one though…

gary d
    cordova,il

If you are in to smoking they say eel’s meat are very good smoke’t

joc
    Western and Central, NY

That’s a small one, seen them up to 4′. They are strong fighters and extremely slimly.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

The ones I have caught where on the Mississippi just north of mpls. Camden bridge area.

hl&sinker
    Inactive
    north fowl

Ive read the American eel is being considered of being put on the endangered species list by the U.S.Fish and Wildlife service do to the over harvest on the northern east coast. Sad the depletion of a rescourse occurs because of greed and poor farming practices of a incredibly amazing animal.

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>FishBlood&RiverMud wrote:</div>
    I’ve only caught two.

When do you want to go? I probably boated over a hundred on cannon lake last year.

2 is just about 2 too many for me, thanks.

I do know someone that is dying to catch one though…

Brian he is talking about dogfish not eels.

Ive read the American eel is being considered of being put on the endangered species list by the U.S.Fish and Wildlife service do to the over harvest on the northern east coast. Sad the depletion of a rescourse occurs because of greed and poor farming practices of a incredibly amazing animal.

Eels are big money. I hope something is done about them they have an amazing life cycle.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

OH! Might have to take you up on that!

Dog fish make excellent flathead bait!

Dog Fish

I will graciously take credit for resurrecting this thread back from the dead yay another question, I know the DNR says there are NO Flatties above the Taylors Falls Dam yet every single species in the Croix has survived above the dam otherwise. flame

tonys

Actually a bunch of species have not been documented above the dam. LN and SN Gar, White Bass, Spotted Suckers, SM Buffalo, Shovelnose Sturgeon and I’d bet several others that don’t come to mind at the moment.

It doesn’t necessarily mean there aren’t any of those species (including Flatheads) above the dam but odds aren’t very good. Many of the other Mississippi tributaries have a big species cutoff at the lowest dam, just the way it is.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Not doubting you for a moment Tony, but how many shovels have you caught or heard of caught above the dam.

I’ve spent a few hours fishing the St Croix for sturg and cats and have never heard of or seen one.

Just wondering how common they are.

tonys

Yeah, Shovels are rare anywhere in the Croix but there are none above (upstream of) the dam. The vast majority of the verified Shovels I’ve heard of have been in the first few miles downstream from the Dam in TF.

The Croix only significant remaining local-ish river for me to catch one from. I’ve got them in the Miss, Sota, Root, Chip, and WI. Anywhere else is pretty a long shot

Dog Fish

Thread resurrection round 2. I don’t think I’ve signed into this account in like 8 years and I am sad to report, I have yet to catch an eel on the Croix doah

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.