Waiting on Positive ID from the DNR

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

In the mean time, I think our friend out in Lester Prairie, Red Lab caught himself a Leather Carp. From a lake none the less.

So far, I haven’t found anyone that’s seen one in the state of Minnesota.

On expanding the photo, there isn’t any scales on this carp. There is a design by the tail, but no scales.

Either way, nice catch Eric!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

From Fish Encyclopedia.com

A noticeable difference in scale pattern is what separates the Leather Carp from its cousins, in fact the majority of Leather Carp have next to no scales at all. The most common myth surrounding the Leather is that they have no scales what so ever, whereas the truth is that they have only a few scales. The main thing to look out for when trying to tell the difference between Leather and Mirror Carp is the dorsal row of scales on a true Leather they are missing or incomplete. They are most similar to the Mirror Carp in shape with slightly deeper bodies than the Common Carp.

Like most of the Carp species, Leather Carp can tolerate a wide range of habitat conditions, although they tend to thrive best in well oxygenated lakes with a moderate amount of natural weed and hence food. Leather Carp are not just different in appearance to other Carp, but they have distinct genetic differences the main one being the decidedly lower red blood cell count which is responsible for the much slower growth rates when compared to your average Mirror Carp.

vern
    Participant
    Richfield, MN

Cool! I’ve caught a few mirror carp but have never seen a leather carp.

Outdraft
    Participant
    Western Wi.

Never seen one or even heard of them, by the size of the one pictured looks like they’ve been around awhile

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

Totally sweet! I have caught mirrors, but never a leather.

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

I’ve never caught a mirror carp and I would have mistaken a leather carp for a mirror before seeing this post. Thanks for the education. I’d be very proud to have landed that thing, it is cool and rare! I wonder how it felt to the touch? Are they slimy at all?

gusschoenfeld
    Participant
    Winsted, MN

Actually it was very smooth and dry. I wish i would have known more at the time. We would have spent more time examining it.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

From the DNR…

I would conclude it is a leather carp as well. I have always thought of mirror carp and leather carp simply being genetic variants of common carp. I have a book here that states “Several genetic strains, some bred in aquaculture or used as ornamentals (e.g. leather carp, mirror carp, Israeli carp, koi), are recognized by some as separate varieties (Robison and Buchanan 1988; Balon 1995).”

I’ve sampled mirror carp from time to time but never a leather carp. We have three letter fish codes for common carp, mirror carp, and leather carp.

Book citation: Fuller, P. L., L. G. Nico, and J. D. Williams. 1999. Page 67 in Non-indigenous fishes introduced into inland waters of the United States. American Fisheries Society, Special Publication 27, Bethesda, Maryland.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.