carp guys around still?

• nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Looking to catch a lil more carp this year, should be fun for the kids. Going to try out those fancy hair rigs, Uncut Angling really simplified it and looks easy. What size and type hooks you find most effective? Any particular brand corn, salt or low sodium? Do you feel they are line shy, needing flouro for the lead to bait or just run braid whole way?

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

Stil here… Might be June before water opens if this winter keeps going the way it has. Early season I usually use a combo of crawlers/ waxworms and corn. They seem to like a little protein in early and late seasons. I’d steer clear of braids unless using a fairly long mono/floor leader. Slip sinker set ups usually work best as fish can take some line without feeling resistance. They can be picky buggers at times, although carp fishing is probably one of the simplest and in my mind, most enjoyable species to chase. Can’t wait!!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Do they have phenomenal eyesite? I have tried creeping up on them from piers, shore, very ninja like, so I know they aren’t feeling me, but man do they always sense you somehow and swim away. I said it last year to some guys down there they got to be the ugliest, but smartest fish out there.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Suppose I shouldn’t insult those I’m seeking help from

Quote:

ugliest

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I’m convinced that they have the best “hearing” of any fish out there. I’ve tried sneaking up on them too and they seem to be able to sense you through their lateral line and their great (apparently) eye sight.

I remember the time I saw them schooled up in the run off going into Long Meadow. I got one on my first cast. They scattered, but then schooled back up in the same place. I tried for at least an hour to get another one with no takers.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

The pier south of 694 when the water gets low there are always some swimming around right by it. I’ve gone as far as taking off my shoes and tiptoeing out on to it making sure my shadow isn’t a factor as well and half way out bam gone, literally yelled out REaLLY! Walk down that shoreline and at dawn they literally sit inches of water, pretty cool to see the hundreds of wakes when they dart away as you make your way downstream. Thought of acquiring a spear but that’s probably harder than by hook and line.

nitram
    moorhead mn

Not a lot of carp action in the winter. But in the summer WOW! get a lot of them when fishing for bait on the red river. They bite on the same baits as the goldeye. And seem to be active from ice out until water temps get in the 40s.
    I’ve heard of guys getting though the ice. I have gotten bit when jigging though the ice for blue gills but not landed any line breaks every time so far. Love the fight fast pull hard and their big.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

They are pretty cagey. We get quite a few of them when fishing a creek pool for bait. I think the raging waters all around keep them from using their senses to their full advantage. You will see them come out of the rough water and swim just feet away in super clear water.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Gnerally when I am fishing for carp, I use ultra light gear if there isn’t bushes or rocks around. What a blast that is.

BBKK
    IA

There’s a couple videos on youtube where some english guys put out underwater cameras and fish for carp 24/7 testing different rigs and baits. Really cool to watch. They have pronominal eyesight.

tccat
    Minneapolis, MN.

Carp were going crazy today. Got 20 in the 5-10lb range and a couple at 15lbs just north of SAF area.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

There’s a couple videos on youtube where some english guys put out underwater cameras and fish for carp 24/7 testing different rigs and baits. Really cool to watch. They have pronominal eyesight.

European carp fishing is crazy. Those guys actually camp out and fish round the clock just for one fish. They do get some monsters over there though.

tccat
    Minneapolis, MN.

Most of those fish are in private waters managed by clubs etc. Most of the big fish have names and people mourn them when they die.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Yeah, it’s pretty crazy…or at least it seems that way to us.

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

Quote:

Carp were going crazy today. Got 20 in the 5-10lb range and a couple at 15lbs just north of SAF area.

Congrats! Sounds fun.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Quote:

Quote:

Congrats! Sounds fun.

X2, sounds like a blast! Still looking for my 1st carp of the year. Haven’t ventured down to the falls area in a while, just may have to. Beside with the warmer weather the city beavers come out.

Bob Bowman
    MN

Been getting a few nice ones, fun on spinning gear The river has really come up in the last few days.

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

Couple from a week or so ago. Haven’t tried since then. They should be going bonkers very shortly.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Nice fish!! Been obcessed with suckers lately, need to chase their cousins now

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.