Carp thru the Ice.

• tccat
    Participant
    Minneapolis, MN.

Recent posts have renewed my curiosity for ice fishing carp. I always forget it can really be done. All those who have done it, I would love to hear about it. Gear, baits, presentations, what to look for in a spot etc. Big fish stories also welcome! I would love to find some metro carp thru the ice.

dfresh
    Participant
    Fridley, MN

I am pretty interested in this as well. I know Coley’s group caught a carp the other day on some little metro lake. Maybe she’ll chime in.

coleycrawler
    Participant
    Minneapolis

Dang rite! Jeremy will post in my behalf since I’ve yet to catch one thru the ice. Lets get this crossed off our list this year!!

tccat
    Participant
    Minneapolis, MN.

Quote:

Dang rite! Jeremy will post in my behalf since I’ve yet to catch one thru the ice. Lets get this crossed off our list this year!!

I agree, it’s somethin i’ve been wanting to do for many years. As Ryan stated above my original thought was to use tip-ups with corn and light line. It was kinda of a joke but i think might actually work. lol

eyehuntr14
    Participant
    SE WI

Just a guess but corn, corn and more corn….Chumm Chumm!!!

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Just a guess but corn, corn and more corn….Chumm Chumm!!!

Hey! Chumming is illegal!!!

But there is no law against being clumsy.

jeremy-liebig
    Participant
    mpls

The hard water Carp season is just beginning. Early ice season has proven to be an almost fruitless endeavor. Here’s a link to a report from a few seasons past.
    Ice carp
    Corn has also proven to be mostly a waste of time during the winter from my observance.. Doesn’t mean I don’t have a can of corn along me at most times just in case. If you guys are truly interested I’d be willing to try organizing a little ice carp get- together. They are not easy to target and never a guarantee. The main trick is identifying where they are hanging out and what to look for on your flasher to identify them from other species. I’m not an expert by any means but have wasted quite a bit of time trying to figure their winter habits out. More than willing to help out if I can.

coleycrawler
    Participant
    Minneapolis

Seriously? Chumming is illegal?
    This is a serious question pugster.

jech84
    Participant

Caught two in early January back to back. Man they pull something carzy! I can’t get the pics to post from my phone…anyone know how to do so from a Samsung galaxy 3?

BBKK
    Participant
    IA

Caught one yesterday, broke off two today. Brush. Go find brush. They will be sucking the worms out of the moss/sludge around brush this time of year. Anything wormy/buggy they will eat. I’d personally try something like two redworms on a little fly hook. Find a brush pile with carp and you will hook up. Setting up tip-ups around brush piles or dock posts could work also. I’ve tried it but never hooked up.

tccat
    Participant
    Minneapolis, MN.

Quote:

The hard water Carp season is just beginning. Early ice season has proven to be an almost fruitless endeavor. Here’s a link to a report from a few seasons past.
    Ice carp

Corn has also proven to be mostly a waste of time during the winter from my observance.. Doesn’t mean I don’t have a can of corn along me at most times just in case. If you guys are truly interested I’d be willing to try organizing a little ice carp get- together. They are not easy to target and never a guarantee. The main trick is identifying where they are hanging out and what to look for on your flasher to identify them from other species. I’m not an expert by any means but have wasted quite a bit of time trying to figure their winter habits out. More than willing to help out if I can.

I am game. I would like to learn this style of fishing.

jeremy-liebig
    Participant
    mpls

The biggest challenge is that the damn things never stop moving from what I’ve noticed. They never stick around for an extended period of time like other fish tend to ….. Always on the move in lake scenarios. Same goes for very early season open water lake fishing. You can sit and wait for hours with no action and then there’s a 5-10 minute flurry of action as they cruise through an area.

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Seriously? Chumming is illegal?
    This is a serious question pugster.

Only if someone sees you. I have thrown corn in sometimes when carp fishing, but not most of the time. Just keeping it real.

And never for other species.

I have also fished 2 lines, not just on the border.

BBKK
    Participant
    IA

Had two more break off the last trip. Right in the brush pile in about 6 feet of water. The rod tip would just slowly go down, I knew instantly what it was. I’d just pull up real slowly hoping he’d spit it but they never do. Next thing you know its like you hooked a car bumper, just swimming away slow and steady pulling drag. You can’t turn them with 3# line. Last two were on a chartreuse ratso.

tccat
    Participant
    Minneapolis, MN.

tried a lake today with no success. I believe i was in the right area but i cant say for sure if it was carp i was marking.

jeremy-liebig
    Participant
    mpls

Quote:

tried a lake today with no success. I believe i was in the right area but i cant say for sure if it was carp i was marking.

Was there anybody else out there at all? Wish I could have made it.

tccat
    Participant
    Minneapolis, MN.

nobody, there wasnt much sign of people either.

Michael E Michalk
    Participant

I want to go ice fishing for carp in Halstead Bay on Lake Minnetonka or in one of the Lakes that’s in the head waters of Lake Minnetonka. Any advice on how to find where they are?

catmando
    Participant
    wis

True story, Stcroix River backwater , seen a carp a bud caught, on a dead 6inch sucker minnow, fishing for pike on a tip-up. the thing must of went 20 pounds.

Mwhiterabbit
    Participant
    Andover, MN

I catch them routinely through the ice using the same method leads and hair rigs I use during the summer but with a trout rod deadstick. I do use a finer pack bait with panko, rice, and hominy instead of oats & corn through. It’s also beneficial to use a 10″ auger. I usually try to find a shallower flat near a drop off and let them come to me.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.