Nick Nutter lands State record River Carpsucker!

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Congrates Nick on your 4 pound 6 oz River Carpsucker!

Give use some details and a photo when you have a chance!

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

Good deal. Let’s see a pic! Congrats.

nick-nutter
    Participant

New MN state record river carpsucker
    21-5/8″ length, 16″ girth

Hey thanks for the congrats … November 19 I was out on the MN River with a buddy (John Kimble) pitching jigs for walters. After an afternoon of eyes, as well as a random red horse, we wanted to try one more promising spot. Stuck a few more eyes, and right as the sun started to set something SMOKED my jig. On a medium action rod with 10# suffix braid, this felt a lot different than the walleyes we had been catching. After a few muntes if playing tug-of-war I managed to get it next to the RiverPro, and John netted it. I will admit I was a little dismayed at first when I saw it wasn’t the 30″ walleye I was hoping it was, but that didn’t last long. John knew right away what it was, and was very excited. He had caught one a few years back that was just a few ounces shy of the record, and he said this one was much larger.

After a few careful measurements, and some searching the dnr web page, we determined that this fish indeed measured larger than the previous record, and the decision was made to get it weighed.

The next day I got it weighed at Cabin Fever in Victoria, and it weighed in at 4#6 oz. (previous record was 3-15). Next stop was the DNR fisheries office in Shakopee for a proper identification. They kept the fish, and after a week or so I received a phone call from them saying that it indeed was a river carpsucker and was a new state record. It took a while to I’d the fish, as they are closely related to te quillback carpsucker and the highfin carpsucker. But, alas it was a river as John and I had thought.

The next step was to submit the application to the dnr headquarters in St. Paul, and a few weeks later I received a phone call from Mike Kurre, who is in charge of state records. He again confirmed it as a record and said a formal letter would be sent out, followed by a plaque of some sort. He also said that there will be a press release lol … So I guess at some point my ugly mug should be in a paper or something.

A very cool experience, albeit an unpredicted one. I have plans to get the fish mounted, being that it is likely to be a once in a lifetime deal for me.

I’m very thankful that I wasn’t in catfish mode that evening, as this fish looked like it would make some very good cutbait P

For those curious, this is the letter I received a few days ago from the DNR. Once I receive the plaque, ill post it up here as well … The state record process was very unfamiliar to me before this, and I’m sure it is to most others, so if anyone’s curious I figured I’d share my experience.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

I’m very thankful that I wasn’t in catfish mode that evening, as this fish looked like it would make some very good cutbait

Too funny!

Thanks for walking us through the record process. I would have guessed it to be much different.

Again…Congrats!

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

Sick! Congrats again. That is nice.

nick-nutter
    Participant

Thanks fellas! Appreciate it

chirp
    Participant
    Rochester

Nice job Nick. Congrats.

average-joe
    Participant
    Hudson, WI

Congratulations

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

Damn right you are getting it mounted! Very cool to be able to display a record fish. And she’s a clean healthy looking fish to boot. Congratulations again!

lhprop1
    Participant
    Eagan

Congrats, Nick!

It’s good to have someone who knows their fish species and what might be a record in the boat with you. I’d bet that out of a 1,000 people who might have caught that fish, 999 would have thrown it back or cut it up as bait.

rvvrrat
    Participant
    The Sand Prairie

Very cool

dfresh
    Participant
    Fridley, MN

Nice!!! I wonder if you are the only IDO member that holds a MN state record?! Maybe you should get a lil’ something next to your name?

Mike W
    Participant
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Very nice fish. Hate to say Im one of those guys that would of put it right back over the side not knowing what it was. Might have to study up on my carp suckers. The quill back I guess would be the only one I could pick out of a line up.

outdoors4life
    Participant
    Stillwater, MN

Like I said before if you are having a mount done and it is an oddball fish this is the guy to go to!

Knuth Taxidermy

Any fish for that matter. I have been spoiled by seeing his work.

Nice river.

nick-nutter
    Participant

Quote:

Like I said before if you are having a mount done and it is an oddball fish this is the guy to go to!

Knuth Taxidermy

Any fish for that matter. I have been spoiled by seeing his work.

Nice river.

Joshua is going to do it for me. Far too many people recommended him, his work looks amazing, and he made me one heck of an offer, so that pretty much sealed it for me haha.

outdoors4life
    Participant
    Stillwater, MN

Glad to hear it!

jeremy-liebig
    Participant
    mpls

Congrats on an amazing catch! The mount will also be equally amazing.

farmboy1
    Participant
    Mantorville, MN

Way Cool. Congrats.

nick-nutter
    Participant

Plaque just got here!

…along with another letter.

Thanks for the kind words fellas! I’m off to the ice now

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

Cool!

“Thank you for your patients…” Oops!
    Patience is the word he was looking for.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Very very nice Nick!

Awesome story behind it as well.

fishfreak
    Participant
    Shakopee MN

Very Nice! Congrats, should make a nice mount.

life1978
    Participant
    Eau Claire , WI

Nice job Nick!!

moxie
    Participant
    Sioux City,IA

Congratulations on the state record and that is a mighty beautiful plaque!

nick-nutter
    Participant

Thanks folks! The plaque is hung in my living room, the letters on my fridge along with some artwork by my nephew. Haha – hopefully soon ill have a mount next to the plaque. Tight lines guys!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.