Rods for summer Jigging

• Mike Brister

What rods does everyone like for Jigging summer lake trout?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

What rods does everyone like for Jigging summer lake trout?

Hey Mike

How deep will you be fishing, what is the general size of the fish targeted, and how big / heavy will the lures be? Answers to these questions will allow me to provide a useful response.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Where will you be fishing? Canada lake trout can be 50-60 lbs. Small lake trout (5-20 lbs) you can use a heavy bass rod. There are lots of options out there depending on what you are doing.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Going to chase those Fort Peck Trout.

Any medium heavy to heavy spinning rod will do. Doesn’t need to be high modulus anything special. Just make sure it’s got enough backbone so you can get a good hook set with a 1 oz bait in 80 ft of water. I’ve used the medium heavy Okuma Helios SX spinning rod last several trips and it’s been perfect.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Thanks James…

Good luck on Peck chasing those lakers. I’ll be out there with Koonce June 23 – 28.

Mike Brister

Nice.. I’m sure that will be another good episode.. I wont be there till July. Good luck… Looks like those Okuma rods are out of stock every where.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Nice.. I’m sure that will be another good episode.. I wont be there till July. Good luck… Looks like those Okuma rods are out of stock every where.

We won’t be filming this trip. I’m going out with a couple good friends as a replacement trip since we can’t get into Ontario… for the second summer.

Those Okumas as really good rods for the money. Apparently they underestimated demand a bit. waytogo

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.