Rod recommendation

• sipple31
    Participant
    West Central Sconni

I’m looking for a couple walleye rods to sit in my finicky foolers.
    Over 30″ for sure but less than 42″ (to fit in my rod case).
    Either ML or M depending on the manufacturer.
    Under $75 apiece.

What would you point me towards?

Smellson
    Participant

I wouldn’t spend much on a rod that’s going in a finicky fooler. No need for fancy sensitive rods. I prefer relatively stiff rods (mostly medium power) vs a soft tipped rod. If you put a noodle rod or something with a real soft tip the fish has to pull for quite a bit more before it will set off the flag. The stiffer rods trigger the flag almost instantly….the fish will feel nothing either way

usmarine0352
    Participant

I wouldn’t spend much on a rod that’s going in a finicky fooler. No need for fancy sensitive rods. I prefer relatively stiff rods (mostly medium power) vs a soft tipped rod. If you put a noodle rod or something with a real soft tip the fish has to pull for quite a bit more before it will set off the flag. The stiffer rods trigger the flag almost instantly….the fish will feel nothing either way

Can’t you adjust the Finicky Foolers sensitivity?

slipperybob
    Participant
    Lil'Can, MN

Ugly Sticks…

36″ Medium power Dock Runner

MX1825
    Participant

JM Meatstick

sipple31
    Participant
    West Central Sconni

I ended up going with 32″ Medium JM Meatsticks. They are not like any other medium rod I’ve ever felt… the tip is pretty weak. There seems to be enough backbone to fight a bigger fish. I like the idea of the really oversized wire eyelets for this application. They shouldn’t freeze up.
    We shall see…

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Can’t you adjust the Finicky Foolers sensitivity?

Yes you can. I wouldnt worry about using a noodle rod on one myself. I havent done it, but I am sure it would be fine just adjust the sensitivity lighter than normal.

Rodwork
    Participant
    Farmington, MN

I use very soft and slow action rods (my dead stick rods) with bait feeder reels on my Foolers. I use a bobber stop to help trigger the flag and it acts as a quick reset guide. The softer tip helps from not having so many false flags.

Reed
    Participant

I ended up going with 32″ Medium JM Meatsticks. They are not like any other medium rod I’ve ever felt… the tip is pretty weak. There seems to be enough backbone to fight a bigger fish. I like the idea of the really oversized wire eyelets for this application. They shouldn’t freeze up.
    We shall see…

Is the Meatstick the same as the Dead Meatstick? If so be careful with the tip on it; I’ve had 2 deadmeat sticks I used in my FF and both tips broke while bringing in pike.

sipple31
    Participant
    West Central Sconni

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>sipple31 wrote:</div>
    We shall see…

Is the Meatstick the same as the Dead Meatstick? If so be careful with the tip on it; I’ve had 2 deadmeat sticks I used in my FF and both tips broke while bringing in pike.

Yeah I meant ‘Deadmeat’. Based on my first impression I’m not surprised to hear that. I guess if it breaks, it breaks. Wasn’t too expensive. Hopefully only 18″ walleyes will eat when I put them out… rotflol

MX1825
    Participant

JM Meatstick

I was wrong. Went and looked and mine are 36 inch Deadmeat rods. Old age=memory not what it used to be. doah

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.