Rod Holders for Rails

• live2fishmillelacs
    Blaine, MN

My new Nitro ZV-18 has a rail system for rod holders. I have seen the Cisco type but the pocket book is
    not ready to spend that much. I do not want to go cheap (meaning quality). Please give me your experience
    with some really good Rail type rod holders that do not break the bank. Thank you in advance

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I run a mix of Cisco and Ram. My rams have been on three different boats over 10 years and none of them have failed. Of course, the Ciscos are hard to beat and are worth the extra money.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I don’t know what will break your bank, but you might want to check out the Folbe Advantage.

I’m hoping that Everts will start stocking these when the dust settles but as of last year, I’m a dealer for them along with Skeeter Boat Center.

Check out the video.

http://www.folbe.com

stuart
    Mn.

Folbe are the cats meow.

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

Folbes or Ram would be my suggestion. I carry both here at the store.

deertracker

X3 for the Rams. They are easy to use and very strong. I would even tie my drift sock to one and it never slipped on the rail.
    DT

muskeye
    Duluth, Mn

I use Scottys and haven’t had any issues. If I were to do it again, folbes would probably be my choice. I also use down east for muskie. I’m not a fan of the Rams. Too much flex and can’t get larger diameter rod butts in/out easily.

396ranger
    Cottage Grove MN

Ram for me. Had the clamp on rail style on the last boat and they never moved and I twisted my rod holders prety good. Now on the new boat I have berts track and use the ram adapter on that and it works great.

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

Folbe for this guy! Flawless design!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0469.jpg

JoeMX1825
    MN

I went with the RAM mounts, best quality rail mount I found…

mojogunter

I run the ram mounts they have been flawless for 10 years

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Folbe for sure.

Jack

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Folbe for sure.

Jack

Another vote for the Folbe rod holders , I have 6 of the Folbe Advantage Jr’s and absolutly love them, and they work with both bait casters and spinning reels !!!

Best rod holder on the market and Well worth the $$$.

JMHO Jeff

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

BK Im guessing the difference between the Advantage and Jr. is Bait caster vs. spinning???

live2fishmillelacs
    Blaine, MN

IceAsylum
    Thank you for your this:

As Mark twain once said “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience”

I really needed that today!

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Glad I could help improve your day. Definitely words to live by.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

BK Im guessing the difference between the Advantage and Jr. is Bait caster vs. spinning???

The Advantage is larger in size and can hold a larger rod. Example, I thought I would go with the Jr’s after running the Advantage for cat fishing. I had trouble lifting the rods out of the holders because of the very snug fit. I’m back to the Advantage again.

My thought was to run two of each to highlight the differences.

Jeff aka Trumar is running the Jr and he commented to me just the other day that his spinning rods are a perfect fit.
    I’ll let him expand on that if he chooses to do so.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I used my buddies Folbes this past summer musky fishing once. If i recall i was using my abu winch and i want to say that it didn’t fit in there worth a darn. Anyway, i was not impressed with these. Strong though.
    When he passed away in January i could’ve cleaned them off the boat but something turned me off of the FOlbes. The new owner hopefully loves them.
    I was surprised to hear all positive reviews here. I must have been missing something.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

FB&R,

Dean Marshal gave me two to try out. I had two folbe’s and two Scotties. Totally screwed up my rod pick up style. After the second trip out, I ordered a second set to replace the Scotties.

With the other brands the rod needs to be lifted out over the water, using the folbe’s the rod is lifted straight up out of the holder. If a person lifts the butt of the rod first they won’t come out of the holder or at least there will be a struggle.

They must be lifted on the same plain as the rod holder.

That was one of the negative comments I heard about these holders. We shouldn’t have to teach a person how to take rods out of a holder. After lifting them out a couple times, I’ve heard nothing but positives from them.

‘Course that’s why there’s more then 1 rod holder company I ‘spose. )

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.