Snakehead Found in the Rock

• jeff-patrick
    Participant
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Thanks for the update. It’s hard enough to compete with all these anglers lately. Now I have to compete with a snakeheads.

jeff-patrick
    Participant
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Post deleted by Jeff Patrick

cbarten
    Participant

hey jeff,
    i cuaght one of those damn things in the river in fort…i was told it was a dogfish…damn it. any word on the dnr is doing? i killed the one i caught. it is in my freezer as cutbait for cats. damn damn damn
    if you hear anything let me know.damn

jeff-patrick
    Participant
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Have’nt heard any thing lately. Sure glad that you killed the one you caught. I’m sure the DNR would be interested in the one you have or just to hear where you caught it. Fishing was slow for me this weekend. Never caught a walleye. You sure would think they would start biting soon. Water temp was 57 to 60.

jeff-patrick
    Participant
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Here’s a better picture, same as what J posted.

jeff-patrick
    Participant
    Fort Atkinson, WI

I caught one of these snakehead at the mouth at Blackhawk Island this morning. I could’nt believe it, at least there’s one less in the river now.

jeff-patrick
    Participant
    Fort Atkinson, WI

After doing some more reading on this fish, I think mine could have been a bowfin because it didn’t have the colors like a snakehead but everything else was the same.

cbarten
    Participant

the dnr said the way to id the fish is by the fin configuration. i dug up my garden to try to find any of the fish that was left but it is long gone. if you want the contact # let me know. they are talking about coming out with some kind of guide to let people know the difference. when they found this fish down south everyone got it cofused with bowfin or a dogfish whatever you want to call it. what a week…i’ve had more contact with the dnr this week than i’ve had my whole life…

jeff-patrick
    Participant
    Fort Atkinson, WI

One of the papers showed this one.

lenny_jamison
    Participant
    Bay City , WI

Bowfins always have an olive colored spot just up from their tail. Snakeheads do not have this spot. bowfins also lack the yellowish streaking that the snakehead has.

Gator Hunter

lenny_jamison
    Participant
    Bay City , WI

This is a picture of a bowfin(dogfish).

lenny_jamison
    Participant
    Bay City , WI

This is a picture of a northern snakehead. Note the lack of the spot just up from the tail.

cbarten
    Participant

thanks for posting those pics, it also shows how the fins are different. that should help people id the fish.

hard-water
    Participant
    Milwaukee, WI

How’s the fish’n on the ROCK doing lately. Coming over this week and would like to see some reports. Good luck out there……..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.