August Fishing Reports on the Rock River

• jeff-patrick
    Participant
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Hi Anglers, just got back from an week vacation with the family from the WI Dells. So I’m a little behind on my posts. No fishing on this vacation just laying around at the pool working the tan and having fun with the kids and wife. You have to do that once in a while to keep them happy so you can keep fishing and buy that fishing supplies. Got back Friday and was fishing by Sunday. July was one of my best mouth this year believe it or not. And August is starting off the same way. Yes Mike were out here and so aren’t the walleyes. All you have to do is come and fish the rock river and lake koshkonong in the Newville area. Trolling from the 59 bridge to the lake will catch walleyes as will vertical jigging and casting night crawler or leeches. Went fishing Sunday with Dale Helgeson to get some more film footage for his TV show The Outdoor Experience that is post to start in Stepember . The morning started off slow but ended in a bang. Dale and I caught & released and film at least 15 walleyes Sunday. With Dale taking home three nice eyes for the frying pan. We fished five hours with out catching a walleye but we stayed at it and finally found them and had a great outing. The bite was at midday and the walleyes were caught vertical jigging with nuckle ball jigs with leeches or night crawlers. Lots of are fish were caught in Newville WI by the 59 bridge in four to five foot of water.

jeff-patrick
    Participant
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Here are some more fish that we caught on Sunday. This is a picture of Dale holding some nice eaters.

jeff-patrick
    Participant
    Fort Atkinson, WI

So to anwser your question Mike, Yes were out here. Come over and have some fun.

lundmann23
    Participant
    Franklin

i thought you packed up and went to a different state.

jeff-patrick
    Participant
    Fort Atkinson, WI

No, just went on vacation. I figured if someone wanted me We Fish would have told you guys where I went. Next time I’ll post when I’m going to be gone for a while.

jeff-patrick
    Participant
    Fort Atkinson, WI

“We Fish” come out and play.

jeff-patrick
    Participant
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Hmmmm, August cold morning then hot afternoons, it don’t seem normal. It’s time to do my home work.

jeff-patrick
    Participant
    Fort Atkinson, WI

By god I think I got it. Going out fishing, will report when I have time.

jeff-patrick
    Participant
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Hi everyone, I haven’t forgot about all of you anglers. I’m just having problems getting a August fishing pattern together. I’m catching a few walleyes here and there but nothing to bragg about. White bass are bitting real good but that’s not what I’m after. If any of you guys have any pointers that would help me out I would be glad to listen. Back to the books and then I’ll give it another try. They got to be bitting some where on the Rock River.

kapnjim
    Participant

I think you caught ’em all…..

jeff-patrick
    Participant
    Fort Atkinson, WI

If I would have kept all of them I would have to agree with you, but not so. The Rock River is full of walleyes they just get lock jaw sometimes. 75% of my walleyes are CPR.

lundmann23
    Participant
    Franklin

all my fishing has been slow so far in august except for monday. we were in madison for a big job and we took off a little early on monday to fish the wisconsin river down by arena. we caught many fish including some 20 inch smallies. i wish i had a digital camera. you guys should have seen how fat these fish were. we also caught about a dozen walleyes ranging from 15 to 23. what a blast, all on artificial cranks and top waters. we even caught some catfish and stripers too.

cbarten
    Participant

hey jeff,
    iwas out on the rver the other week, you were out fishing in same area. you caught a 22′ walleye and let it go. my friend and i were in the other boat, remember? anyways we went down river to try other holes and ended up losing a bunch of cats down by the mouth. on way back to the launch we stopped by that same hole where we started in the morning. it was about 4pm and we got a 24′ walleye,17′ sauger,and 5 barely legal walleyes. we caught about a dozen smaller walleyes as well. is the afternoon/evening seem to be better? have you been out at all lately? i think i’m going tuesday. also is there alot of boat traffic on the weekends? thanks chris

if you don’t remember me my friend was yelliing about leaving the nightcrawlers in the other boat

jeff-patrick
    Participant
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Hi cbarten , yes I do remember. It was good talking to you guys. It’s great to hear you ended up with some nice fish. Yes on the weekends boat traffic is none stop in afternoon(pleasure boater mainly). But don’t let that stop you from coming fishing. Welcome to the site I hope you enjoy the posts as I enjoys yours. Hope to see you out again some time.

lundmann23
    Participant
    Franklin

hey jeff, long time no talk. was thinking of heading out this weekend but heard the water is extremely low. haven’t heard much of good reports other than slimers. any ideas?

jeff-patrick
    Participant
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Water is still ok. You still have to be careful though stay in the channel if you don’t know the water and as far as the lake that’s hit or miss. Water is not as low as spring. Just a reminder water levels change daily. By the weekend it could be like it was at spring. I haven’t been out since last Friday.

cbarten
    Participant

hey jeff made it out today in the heat and we did good 7 fish over 23″ which we put back but got some great pics.if i can figure this computer out i’ll post some. the biggest was 26.5″. we also caught 2-17’s which will be dinner tomorrow. we fished in jefferson in a deep hole my friend knew. best day i’ve ever had in this state for walleyes.

jeff-patrick
    Participant
    Fort Atkinson, WI

cbarten ‘did you guys launch at Jefferson?

cbarten
    Participant

yes we were just off the main road out there, not sure of any of the names off the streets, but there are no peirs at the launch. it was just down from the dam.

lundmann23
    Participant
    Franklin

last time i launched at that place my truck was half way across the channel. if i had the boat i got now i never would have got it off the trailer.
    i know a couple holes up there but couldn’t get to them from fort. i banged my prop up down by the rapids. last spring we were flying right through there.
    glad to see some nice fish though. trying to get out this weekend seeing as my thoughts are moving into duck hunting mode and out of fishing.

jeff-patrick
    Participant
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Any body doing any good fishing? Will try to get out this week. I have heard of some nice eyes being caught.

jeff-patrick
    Participant
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Hi anglers, the rock river walleyes are bitting. The hardest part is finding them. I caught some nice fish today, watch for my report and pic’s after Labor day at in-depthangling.com

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.