Rock River (SHORE ANGLERS)

• hard-water
    Milwaukee, WI

Post your favorite spots and/or results. What techniques/styles you have used. There are a whole bunch of us who pound the shores every spring and fall for walleye and/or whitebass. Let’s help each other out with info and tips. Good luck out there……….HW

cherilovell
    Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin

I would like to know where to shore fish in these areas. My only means of fishing is shore fishing and don’t have many spots I can fish yet.
    Thanks for any help.

hard-water
    Milwaukee, WI

Tried it yesterday for a couple of hours. Fished along 106 at the bend where river turns south towards Kosh. Not much doing, BUT when I was reeling in to head home, managed to get a 17″ walleye. It hit on a lt green/dk green combo floating jig with half a crawler. Fished for about another hour and nothing. Happy to report that that eye is still swimming in the river. Will be back next week. Good luck out there..

hard-water
    Milwaukee, WI

Carpgirl….There are quite a few spots to shorefish in Ft Atkinson as well as in Jefferson. Along Hwy 106 there are 3 spots where you can fish with easy access. The first is just east of the hwy 12 bridge. You can park on the street and walk down the embankment. Next is west of the hwy 12 bridge about a 1/4 mile on the left. There is a parking spot and a couple hundred yards of river. The next is about a 1/2 mile further west. On the left there is a turn off road where the river bends south. You can also fish along Rock River Road. That is east of Ft Atkinson on 106. In Jefferson, you can try it by the dam or along river rd which runs parallel on the south side of the river. Hopes this helps. Any questions, just ask….

cherilovell
    Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin

Thanks so much, not looking to steal anyone’s “honey hole”, just looking for someplace to fish. I used to fish on a part of the river where the rock meets the crawfish. I just can’t remember how to get there. I am no help with the roads either – went with someone who knew how to get there. I know we took a country road that lead to a very long dirt road that lead to a small, gravel boat landing. Do you know where this is?

hard-water
    Milwaukee, WI

They are paved roads now. The crawfish meets the Rock just below the dam in Jefferson. Just to the east of where they converge there is a boat ramp. You can fish along the river on Riverview drive. Riverview Dr. is just south of the HWY 26 bridge in Jefferson. You can also fish right below the dam, but in Spring and Fall good luck finding a spot to stand. Now go catch some fish. And don’t worry about any honey holes, they are all good at one time or another.

hard-water
    Milwaukee, WI

Tried it last week with no fish caught. Probally will make a trip tomorrow. I usually have better luck in the Fall than in the Spring. Hopefully will have a positive report next time.

jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Dave there catching some nice fish downtown Fort by the main street bridge on the south side of the river. You can park in the parking lot across from the police station at a little park on the north side.

hard-water
    Milwaukee, WI

Thanks Jeff. I will give that a try. Probally won’t be until tomorrow though. Was up all night at a fire. Need my beauty sleep. Are they still working on the bridge where the Bark river meets the Rock??? I believe it is on Rock River Rd/Milwaukee Ave.

jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Nope the bridge is all done.

hard-water
    Milwaukee, WI

Took a ride yesterday and decided to give the Rock a try. Fished by the Bark river with no success. Went to the bend on 106 and had a few hits. Took a ride to Jefferson Dam. Caught a couple shorts. Maybe 1 more trip this year.

hard-water
    Milwaukee, WI

Tried it yesterday by the Bark. Had a few bites but no takers. Went over to the wall along 106 and had the same results. Did see 2 keepers caught with the long cane poles. They were using WHITE floating jigs tipped with a jumbo fathead. Both fish were males about 17″…Water temp was 40.3…The run is definately starting.. Next week should be real good….Good luck out there…

hard-water
    Milwaukee, WI

Hard to believe that last post was 17 years ago today. I continued to fish the Rock occasionally until 3 years ago. Decided to take a break, but now got the itch again. Plan on going back next week. Not a fan of the newer size regulation, but that’s beyond my control. Hopefully I can catch something that’ll be worthy of posting about. Good luck out there and as always, stay safe.

AK Guy

I’m impressed that you remembered starting a discussion 17 years ago. I can’t remember things I’ve said from last week. Good luck and post pictures when you get back.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.