Fisherman’s Inn landing and launch area…..

• Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I was out at the lake this morning and bumped into Jim Peterson, the owner of Fisherman’s Inn and the associated landing found there. We had a little confab and I said I’d relay the outcome to you guys.

First off, this ramp is privately owned and is operated on a payment per use basis. This is not in any way a public launch facility, nor is it a free one! Past years have found things pretty lax at the landing with regard to paying the fee to launch. No more.

There is no such thing as a “grandfathered launching opportunity” now that Nick Bolus has died. If you want to launch, you pay. Period.

Beginning soon…. very soon…. a sign will be posted directing anyone who wants to launch into the restaraunt area to pay the fee. The box is coming down and direct payment will be the only option other than an annual pass. The daily fee will be listed on this sign and the annual permit fee will be shown clearly as well. As of now, what the fees are have not been revealed to me, so you’ll have to read the sign. And you will want to read that sign when it goes up!

Persons who want to side-step the sign and launch without paying will likely return to find the vehicle missing. That will be because CSC, a towing service, will be called to remove violator’s vehicles and trailers. Those who have vehicles towed will have to deal with the towing company directly to get the vehicles out of hock.

Also new this year is an enforced parking policy. This also can result in a tow job if not followed.

The launching there has NOT been free since Jim bought the place from Nick Bolus several years ago, but there have been some who think it is and has been. Beware if you are one of these people. I hardly can blame him for taking these measures. He took out of his own pocket to lay cement to the tune of $4,000.00 dollars last fall to repair a beat up center section of his ramp so people could launch without problems, but he didn’t have to. His other option was to close down the launching facility. Jim has decided he is tired of having his facility taken advantage of and is now making these changes. I don’t know of anyone from this site that has violated this trust, but beware if you read this and have done so in the past.

markmoran
    Participant
    Rochester MN

Thanks for the update! When someone finds out what the fees are can you post them please.
    Thanks ct

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

You bet Mark. I’m thinking they are going to stay the same as they were last year.

bill_cadwell
    Participant
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thanks for the update Tom.
    Thanks, Bill

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I was finally able to track down Jim for a minute of time and got a confirmation on pass fees. The daily pass is $5.00. The annual is $50.00.

Those launching from there are REQUIRED to check in at the restaraunt to get the pass and parking instructions. There is a 4’X 8′ sign smack in the middle of the lot now that states the fact that its a private launch and Jim said the compliance rate is now up to almost 100%. Violators will be towed.

bill_cadwell
    Participant
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thanks Tommy. This info is very nice to know and hopefully will keep people from being towed and also help Jim be able to pay for the expensive work he had done on the ramp this year.
    Thanks, Bill

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Over $4000.00 for the little that was done last fall.

Its a shame that the ski club doesn’t ante up for this stuff. Normal boat launching doesn’t crack and degrade the cement at the launch….its all that heavy crap that the ski club drags across it each spring and fall [docks, ski jump]. It would be wonderful to see the county have a permit system in place with an annual hearing required prior to issuance of the permits they use instead of the sheriff’s rubber-stamp system. That ski club’s rehearsal activity puts wear and tear on the shorelines and washes tons of junk into the water. Maybe if the county imposed some conditions to any permits [like requiring them to remove the stuff their boats wash into the water at the end of the rehearsals], the obvious water quality issues would improve.

Oh well. Jim has done a nice job on his launch. Now he needs to pay for it.

markmoran
    Participant
    Rochester MN

Thanks CT

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Sounds like everywhere else. Things are changing in Rochester.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I was on the water this morning and found a nice 4 pound catfish someone just tossed on shore. I kinda draw the line at eels and lampreys, but those cats , carp, sheepies…..they all go back. Shame…it was a nice fish.

minnesotsakid
    Participant
    ROCHESTER

Not a fan at all of ski team, but do you consider the amount of money they bring to jim??? They usually help with all repairs done down there I grew up on the team over 10 years ago and remember doing all sorts of clean up days and repair days. (the huge cottonwoods that used to stand there ski club cut down and repaired parking lot.) Ct sounds like you need the whole picture before you jump to point fingers. Did jim tell you that they didnt pay anything? Because i am willing to bet the team made the repair and jim furnished material. With out ski team fishermans inn would be condos like sandy point is and there would be NO launch. so watch your P’s and Q’s.. I have spent my whole life on the lake and the quality of fishing has been the same as i remember when i was 2. The garbage has been and will continue to be present. So because the team washed the slob fisherman garbage off shore its their responsibility??!!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

MnKid….

Sorry to rub your hair the wrong way, but my information comes from coversations with Jim. There may be more to this than you are aware of.

minnesotsakid
    Participant
    ROCHESTER

More to what that I am aware of? The fact that the ski team drives in probablly 75% of his annual sales, with out the team there fishermans would be closed. There already is the rumor that Jim is goin to sell for $1,000,000 and if that happens say good bye to ski team and launch and hello some nice condos.
    I heard at the lake improvement meeting that they are trying to charge 600 ayear for 10 years for people that live on lake, in return would make it a private lake solving all the issues in a nut shell!!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Quote:

More to what that I am aware of? The fact that the ski team drives in probablly 75% of his annual sales, with out the team there fishermans would be closed. There already is the rumor that Jim is goin to sell for $1,000,000 and if that happens say good bye to ski team and launch and hello some nice condos.

I heard at the lake improvement meeting that they are trying to charge 600 ayear for 10 years for people that live on lake, in return would make it a private lake solving all the issues in a nut shell!!

Again….this is nothing new to me, but being “rumored” material, why spread it. I get my information from Jim….whether I say much about it is another thing.

minnesotsakid
    Participant
    ROCHESTER

Because rumors come true, there was a rumor sandy point was sold, a rumor grandpa eds was closing, and look what rumors turn into… REALITY… Fishermans inn is privately for sale for $1,000,000. It has been known since Ralph (jims dad) past away. So I wont call it a rumor it a FACT!!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Whatever….have a great day.

minnesotsakid
    Participant
    ROCHESTER

Oh I will!!! Break out the facts and you go lay by your dish!!

minnesotsakid
    Participant
    ROCHESTER

“The launching there has NOT been free since Jim bought the place from Nick Bolus several years ago” Quote from CT

Who bought the place? You better get your info straight!

eronningen
    Participant
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

“The launching there has NOT been free since Jim bought the place from Nick Bolus several years ago” Quote from CT

Who bought the place? You better get your info straight!

I would think thats closer to 18 years….Probably 20+. I worked at Fish for the Peterson’s 16 years ago.

I’m not a fan of the ski club either. You’re claim that the ski club brings in 75% or whatever of the Fisherman’s Inn revenue sounds just stupid. I personally have no idea but it can’t be anything of the sort. I do not doubt that weds. nights during the ski show season is the best night of the work week but come on. If that was the case it would be a seasonal business at best.

Another thing, why throw CT under the bus? He is a Lake Zumbro advocate more than most and is always looking out for the best of the lake; maybe not the ski club or Fisherman’s Inn, but the LAKE. Isn’t that the important issue here?

I have no doubt that the Peterson’s have a price tag on the property, everything does and always will. They own a precious piece of property and it will no doubt be sold at some time, be it a developer or another food/entertainment industry individual.

As far as the ski club goes……..I think anyone who has EVER fished out there is biting there tongue. That lack of respect shown by the tow boat drivers is un-real. I am beyond anger, all that comes to mind is WTF. I know they have practice and shows to conduct but come on….The lake is awful narrow. The boat wake is one thing but they get wayyyy to close to fisher people and other boaters. I have been sprayed more than once by skiers flexing their muscles and showing off. I am aware that they try to practice more upstream now and thats great but that is not always the case. Having the jump placed where it is will lead to a boat colision near the pier. Tow boats throwing huge wake into the loading ramp is crazy. Why should we pay $5 to unload and load into a huge wake area. I beach my boat on the sand near the ramp to go get my truck and come back to find my boat has been swamped. Real cool. Real respectful.

Just another man’s opinion.

minnesotsakid
    Participant
    ROCHESTER

Take your boat and launch it at a public ramp. If you are so disgusted. I called out Ct on runnin his mouth and bad mouthin a good thing. The club does do repairs at the launch, the club does do lake clean up, the club has been in place for 50 years. Mark my words with out the ski show fishermans would be CLOSED! It may not be 75%, but its over half. I worked there less then 5 years ago and the winters sucked big time except for the occasional x-mas parties. Talk tyo jim ask him he will tell you how much he benifits from the club. Ifhe didnt why the H would he let them saty there???????
    The lake is the issue? whast wrong with it? The club has been there for 50 YEARS the same boats now for 15 no more power in the boats and no less. So the talk is nonsense. Fishing has stayed the same if not improved in the last 23 years Ihave been on the lake.f you are s0 digusted in the lake fish else where its the land of 10,000 lakes!!!

eronningen
    Participant
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

Take your boat and launch it at a public ramp. If you are so disgusted. I called out Ct on runnin his mouth and bad mouthin a good thing. The club does do repairs at the launch, the club does do lake clean up, the club has been in place for 50 years. Mark my words with out the ski show fishermans would be CLOSED! It may not be 75%, but its over half. I worked there less then 5 years ago and the winters sucked big time except for the occasional x-mas parties. Talk tyo jim ask him he will tell you how much he benifits from the club. Ifhe didnt why the H would he let them saty there???????
    The lake is the issue? whast wrong with it? The club has been there for 50 YEARS the same boats now for 15 no more power in the boats and no less. So the talk is nonsense. Fishing has stayed the same if not improved in the last 23 years Ihave been on the lake.f you are s0 digusted in the lake fish else where its the land of 10,000 lakes!!!

You make many assumptions and read into every thing too far.
    I am not disgusted with the lake. I really like to fish it for what it is. I do avoid it it though any time the ski club is practicing or out there at all due to their ignorance. But in their defense, they are not the only ignorant boat operators out there.
    I’m not doubting the clubs involvement with clean up and repairs. I just jumped in here to point out another point of view.
    My point is this, we’ll all happily pay the launch fee but its a pill to swallow when during launching there is ropes and equipment blocking the ramp, ski boat trucks and trailers in the way to launch, 3 foot wake blowing into the ramp as I launch, and getting the back deck of my boat washed when parking my truck and trailer.
    As far as you’re claims to Fisherman’s Inn and their revenue from ski club events, whatever….Only the peterson’s know and I will not banter on that anymore, just pointed out your phony claim.
    As far as the power of the boats and how long they have been there, I don’t understand your point, but its hard to ignore that fact that their huge wake into the shorelines causes alot of erosion and sediment to wash off the banks…Not sure if that was your issue?

Jason G
    Participant

Gotta back ERon on some of the conduct of the Ski Club boats. The $5 is not the issue – the chaos at the ramp and near misses on the lake ARE the issues. When the skier is weaving in and out of the the treeline on the shore I am fishing – it is A LITTLE FRUSTRATING. We don’t anchor out in the middle during the ski club practice or shows – maybe we should ??

minnesotsakid
    Participant
    ROCHESTER

I am saying the club has been there for 50 years and the boats have been the same for 15 years. The team does do some stupid @ss stuff and so do the weekend wally guys with the 1000 pound water sacks in their boat for wakeboarding puting out a bigger wake then a hydrodyne ski team boat and no one has anything to say about that. What i am getting at is its life there are dumb @ss people and we have to deal with them, but to call out an organization that helps a business and helps more then any other organization clean the lake, even more then the so called “lake improvemnent assoc” is assinine. Grow up guys its life guys.

Jason G
    Participant

Quite sure ERon and I have grown up….I guess your experiences from ages 2-25 have more clout than ours. On the water we give respect and expect it back…..It seems like you want to pick a fight regardless, so I will just read the posts and bask in your lengthy experience and wisdom.

minnesotsakid
    Participant
    ROCHESTER

Not pickin a fight at all… Thats childish talk. Just standing up for an organization that helps the lake and a local business. Everyone is quick to bash them, but when someone throws facts back and stand up for them everyone is quick to drop the subject… You should see the PM’s that I have goten from other fisherman on this site sayin thanks for standin up to CT and others on their ski team bashing. Like I said before they are 50 years old and runnin strong dont think they will just dissapear so get used to them or dont fish the lake mon, wed, thur, or sat mornings.

Wade Boardman
    Participant
    Grand Rapids, MN

I’m surprised you guys put up with all this grief (ski club, landing fees, poor fishing) just to be on the Scumbro. I guess it’s still a body of water and somewhere to be. However coming from Northern MN, I’ve been less than impressed the few times I’ve been on it.

After hearing about the summer traffic, I don’t think you guys will have me to worry about taking up landing space and making wakes.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Fearth not Davie….you haven’t slain Goliath yet.

My statements are based on actual conversations, recent and past, with Jim. He’d certainly have no reason to say anything to the contrary regarding HIS launching facility and the ski club if the “truths” you promote were in deed factual. I know Jim and his wife, I don’t know you. I’ll stick with what Jim tells me face to face.

To be certain, the ski club does help in keeping kids and young adults off the street when they do the clean-up at the landing each spring. Still. there seems to be quite a bit of support regading the down-side of the ski club….those who have come along to show their disdain for how the club conducts itself are not people I even know, but their comments fall in line with what Jim has mentioned.

Maybe you need to look at another veiwpoint or two, dude. If it weren’t for the graciousness of Fisherman’s Inn in allowing the club to have the access they enjoy [and abuse], there certainly wouldn’t be a club located there. Your comment that the club’s pony-power hasn’t changed in 15 years might easily be looked at as 15 years of over-powered abuse of the lake’s shorelines. If you don’t look at both sides of a coin and understand how both sides come into play affect each other, your argument will be made from a paper podium. In my opinion, the club has out-grown and over-horse-powered itself in the narrow digs it hides in today.

In have suggested the club be moved to a different part of the lake or even to Lake Shady on several occasions. Grandpa Eds and the broad lake section there would serve the club’s horse power and space needs much better than the narrow corridor the club is founded in now. The county park system could easily shed some financial burden by deeding the park and Lake Shady to the ski club. In this instance they’d have their own private pond with an audience along the hiway. This is but one side of the coin I mentioned. The other gets back to the club itself….who wants the noise, garbage and ripping around imported into a quiet part of the lake or to Shady? Don’t think for a second that there wouldn’t be hearings held by residents who could be affected. You need to get your head out of the sand if you are thinking that everyone living on that lake thinks the club is the cat’s meow. I say the only reason this outfit exists is because they CAN’T find anywhere else that wants their crap. And while I could say I can see how you’d fit in supporting them, I won’t expound on it.

I started my fishing on Lake Zumbro long BEFORE the ski club came to be and well back when the OLD Whitebridge was the place to go. The original Fogarty’s was on the other side of the bridge. You had yet to become so much as a wet spot. I have 22 years of documented fishing on the Zumbro and that includes water quality, fish kills, everything. In your self-professed wisdom, you tell me why every morning after a ski club rehearsal or every day after a ski club performance, the only place on the entire lake that is loaded with debris [limbs, bottles, shoreline garbage]is that corridor from Fisherman’s down to Rattlesnake and this is happening when there has been no rainfall to wash the crap in the water? I know why this happens and so do many others. YOU know why.

In addition to making the cost of launching known as a serve to anglers and those wanting to spend a day on the water, I made a statement about the ski club doing more than what they do, including picking up the crap they wash into the water and you take offense at the suggestion.

Like I stated earlier, there is a lot you don’t know. Its likely you just “don’t get it”. Nor will you. That’s too bad because the water needs all the help it can get.

bill_cadwell
    Participant
    Rochester, Minnesota

No matter what anybody says, thinks, or does there will always be anglers, pleasure boaters, ski club etc on and using the lake. We ALL need to get along. Granted we ALL have our preferred choice [fishing, skiing, driving around, etc] of enjoyment on the lake but we ALL have to respect others too. We don’t, and maybe never will, get our own selfish ways in life but bashing others because of their favorite lake activities isn’t going to help unless maybe its about keeping drinking while driving people off of the lake for safety reasons. Yes, we all have our views, and yes mine is fishing and about the quality of the fishing on Lake Zumbro. But putting others and there opinions down in bashing ways isn’t going to get anyone to really listen to what I have to say. We ALL need to ”join together” and support what we ALL REALLY care about and that is about the quality of the lake and our experience, no matter what it is, on the lake. After all we ALL want whats best for the lake to help it survive, to be able to enjoy our time there, and that makes ”US ALL” in the same boat so to speak. Personally I like fishing there, I like just driving my boat around sometimes too there, I like seeing the water ski show at times and like and appreciate it being there for the enjoyment of others to see and enjoy, and I like just plain o’l being on the water in my boat because its relaxing, peacefull, and something I love doing. And I also have to respect the rights of others to use the lake too. Its all part of my being there and using the lake, plain and simple. We ALL have something VERY much in common which is we ALL love being on the water doing what we enjoy. Please lets consider using this energy to not only get along but to also help the lake become a better quality lake for all of us. After all, we ALL benefit from it and thats a GREAT way of being selfish, so to speak, of being able to enjoy what we personally like to do on the lake. Its like having our cake and being able to eat it too. We ALL win that way.
    THANKS, Bill

bill_cadwell
    Participant
    Rochester, Minnesota

Getting back to what this thread really started out to be I realize and accept the fact that its a private landing and the owner does have the right to charge for launching there to help pay for the boat ramp and expense of maintaining it. And it does take one hec of ALOT of 5.00 launch fees to get his money back too. In fact you are looking at 800 plus 5.00 fees to break even. And that can and will take a long long time to reach that amoumt of launches.
    Thanks, Bill

Wade Boardman
    Participant
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Getting back to what this thread really started out to be I realize and accept the fact that its a private landing and the owner does have the right to charge for launching there to help pay for the boat ramp and expense of maintaining it. And it does take one hec of ALOT of 5.00 launch fees to get his money back too. In fact you are looking at 800 plus 5.00 fees to break even. And that can and will take a long long time to reach that amoumt of launches.
    Thanks, Bill

Shouldn’t take that long. Say a 10 launches a day average every day for the 3 summer months, that 840 launches. I would think it should pay itself back by the end of the summer.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.