Roch Area Ice?

• Dan
    Southeast MN

Sorry, I feel like I do this a time or two every year. Had plans to get out to either Chester or Silver Creek this Friday, just unsure what the slush/wintry mix cycle this past week has done. If anyone has been out in the area in the last few days I’d be happy to hear about ice quality.

Thanks.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I know people have been out on both of those waters but I’d pass yet on Chesterwoods myself until we get some more cold. The Country Club lakes are seeing some activity on the ice too. Lake Zumbro still has a large area of open water yet but they are sneaking out at Fishermans from the public piers and fishing the basin in front of the business. KR7, the scout camp and Willow Creek have all had traffic on them.

With the unusually warm weather of late and the rain with it earlier this week I’d definitely be spudding my way on the ice but I think its going to prove to be good enough to walk without issue.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Try ice report app. Gives you a baseline anyway. Here’s the only recent report round here

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20200101-151655.jpg

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I want to get out to FA tomorrow or Friday. I think it’ll be fine? Going shallow anyway, no chance I will walk across the entire pond just yet!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

There had been some open water on the north end a while back but the latest report on the local news showed a shot of that area from shore and there were people out there. The north end has that migrating spring that’s caused some scares in the past. That news report showed portables out there near the rocks on the west side of the north end so there must be decent ice.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Ended up deciding against Chester Woods last week due to distance and went to Silver Creek instead. Haven’t been there more than a time or two, but man that’s only 10 minutes from the old Shopko north, which is nice. Stopped at Ace Hardware by Silver Lake for some wax worms but they didn’t have any (Zumbrota Ace does) but Kwik Trip on North Broadway actually had some good ones.

The holes I drilled on SC had 9-10 inches of ice. Fished late afternoon, caught a mixed bag of crappie, bluegill, perch, and a fire-breathing-mad bass who provided a lot of excitement. Other than the bass most of what I caught was just under decent “keeper” size. I did overhear a guy in another group say “that’s my first pike out here.”

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I was out at SC not too long ago. Big pike out there if you get away from the crowds. This one was my PB out there and quite fun on the Ifish pro. Was a big kill there that took out a lot of pike few summers ago from extreme heat. Its unfortunate that you can catch 100 fish out there and maybe find 5 to keep for a meal but I knew it would happen when they put the parking lot there. Long long ago we used to walk the creek and catch crappie the size of your boot, now the bucket fillers ended that for good. Hey at least you know the pike will not run out of food at the all you can eat perch buffet!

Attachments:
    1. Resized_20191223_155604.jpeg

Dan
    Southeast MN

Very nice, that’s a solid pike to catch on a body of water like that!

munchy
    NULL

Can a guy legally drive a 4 wheeler onto Silver or is it walk on only? Have yet to hit any of the local lakes since moving here.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Foot travel only. It not that bad of a hike.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

yes foot travel only at ALL the local reservoirs but I have seen 4 wheelers on SC long ago. probably from one of the land owners?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.