Roberds Lake

• Dillon Sanders

Who here has fished Roberds Lake? The reason I ask is I had recently discovered it and learned they have seasonal sights there. I went and visited over the weekend and found out that Roberds Resort has two spaces for sale. But I’m not sure I’m ready to buy. I have done some research on the lake but there is little info about it. I did find an article the mentioned an algae issue and a yelp review that said the place reeks in July/August. But I couldn’t find anything on the quality of fish. Is the bite a tough on year round or are the better times than others? How big are the average size of Bass, Northern and Walleye.

Does anyone know this lake?

404 ERROR
    MN

When I lived in Mankato, I ventured there quite a bit. That was 5 years ago now. I have done very well with the Walleye in the winter, nothing too big, but plenty of fish. There are channel cats in there that are incredibly tasty! The water actually clears up decently in the winter and spearing can be done in the shallows on the north-central part of the lake.

It’s a good lake, but there are plenty better ones within a couple minutes drive of there.

Dillon Sanders

It’s a good lake, but there are plenty better ones within a couple minutes drive of there.

I’m guessing Shields and Mazaska? I noticed there is camping on Shields but nothing seasonal.

Thanks for the intel ME…

404 ERROR
    MN

I’m guessing Shields and Mazaska? I noticed there is camping on Shields but nothing seasonal.

Thanks for the intel ME…

Bingo Bango! Cannon has been called the dead sea by locals but there was some great walleye fishing to be had out there last winter.

Dillon Sanders

Any tactics suggestions for those 3 lakes ME? Summer fishing not winter.

404 ERROR
    MN

Fatheads on a tipup around dark is good on most lakes around there. Rattle spoons with minnow heads is also good for a night bite.

David Blais

Lindy spinner, troll the edge of vegetation

404 ERROR
    MN

Lindy spinner, troll the edge of vegetation

I tend to get more Drum than anything trolling spinners! But I have gotten some walleye doing just that.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

The reason that lake gets so green in the summer is because in the 60’s, farmers dried up a bunch of marsh land and made it into grazing land for their horses. This area is upstream from French lake. All the nutrients are still there and when it rains, it goes into the lake. This is causing the smell and green color. Today the grazing land has homes on it. Muskie Inc. Chapter 54 and the Cannon watershed (crwp) has tried in the past to buy these homes and remove them to turn that area back into a marsh. Just some of the people there love their home and don’t want to sell. Just a little history. It is not a bad lake.

Ryan P
    Farmington

Don’t all the lakes down that way get like that in late summer? We used to waterski a bunch on Lake Byllesby back in the day and it was always green as pea soup around August. Didn’t stop us from skiing though.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The last place I’d look for a seasonal site would be on any of the Cannon River flowage. They all skunk in the summer. Three years ago we went over to French to visit friends who had a seasonal site and we could smell the lake five miles before we got to it. While it was about 80 degrees that day and clear with a nice breeze we had to stay inside with an air conditioner straining the air so we could breathe without gagging. I won’t finish in any of the lakes any more. If horses can screw up a flowage imagine what kinds of agricultural chemicals are getting in there helping with that toxic stink.

Dillon Sanders

I think I’m going to try the lake in May and see how I do. But I’m beginning to agree with Tom… I don’t think I want a Seasonal there.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Don’t all the lakes down that way get like that in late summer? We used to waterski a bunch on Lake Byllesby back in the day and it was always green as pea soup around August. Didn’t stop us from skiing though.

That is all part of the Cannon river flowage

Dillon Sanders

I know Byllesby had to deal with a carp problem too… So I’ve never fished there.

Brian Lauwers
    mn/sd/nd

I’d recommend looking at Madison Lake. There are campers north side but I never looked at seasonal prices. It’s busy weekends and summer, but less stink and better structure. I’d fish it year around…nearly always a bite going on. Good bass and pike size structure. Lots of panfish for eating or feeding pike and bass.

Other than that go north for clean water.

Actually I’d check out Pepin, Wisc. Mississippi River. Giant pike and Smallies….you’ll have a blast. Panniers just ask Tom…he knows it better than the back of his hand.

aaronbecker
    Mantorville, MN

Anyone know if the lakemaster chip has Roberds on it? I found out the preloaded lakes on the helix 9 doesn’t include Roberds

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Anyone know if the lakemaster chip has Roberds on it? I found out the preloaded lakes on the helix 9 doesn’t include Roberds

Yes it does

Tritoon
    Austin, MN

I have a seasonal site available in Waterville which is about 15 miles west from faribault. It’s on Lake Sakatah and lake Tetonka (the two lake are divided by a channel) Tetonka is a pretty good lake for the area. It’s just the lot so you would need a camper
    Pm me if interested

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.