Road help for 35E / I694 west / hwy 10

• haleysgold
    SE MN

I need some help for the guys in the cities.
    On Saturday I was going to take I35 north to 694 west but it looks like a mess with construction closures.
    Not sure if I can swing off to Hwy 10 since it looks like some ramps closed.
    Anybody know if I should avoid that area?

Maybe take 494 around the west side instead?
    I’m coming from Rochester up Hwy 52 pulling a boat.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

What time Saturday?

Construction has closed many areas for the weekends over the entire summer.

Always hated 10 with all the lights. Would opt for 94 all the way to Monticello or Clearwater exit to shoot over to 10.

Pete S

It won’t be that bad on a Saturday. If I were you I would come up 35E and take 36 West to 35W north. Once you hit 35W and 694 you’re beyond the construction. Not sure where you are headed but you can take 35W north to 10 from there. My .02 worth. We’ve had to make that trip often on weekends and that’s the way I usually go

munchy
    NULL

What’s your final destination?

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I hate to tell you this but this summer you can’t swing a dead cat without hitting road construction. I am traveling the same route, Stillwater to Fergus falls tonight at about 6pm. I know that 694 west from 35W to Silver lake road will be closed at 10pm tonight. HWY 10 also has some construction and 494 on the west side does too.

Not what you wanted to hear I am sure, but I would say take the way you always do(if you have done this route before) and just be prepared for some slow downs. I have taken 694 west to 94 west the last 2 Friday at about 6pm and it has been ok, but there is construction. One thing I would suggest is don’t use 35E, instead take 52 to the 494/694 loop on the east side.

haleysgold
    SE MN

Headed to Leech Lake and going thru the cities around 8 AM’ish.

Yeah 10 has a lot of light but beats construction on 694. Hate pulling a boat thru that stuff.

Pete – Is 36 west a fairly good ride from 35E? Then I if I get on 694 west at New Brighton I would be west of the construction zones? Then I could take 94 to Clearwater and Hwy 10.
    Be my best option?

Thanks guys!!

Pete S

There is some construction on 36 but it shouldn’t slow you down. The construction ends just east of the 35W/694 intersection so you should be in the clear from there

munchy
    NULL

If you’re going to Leech from Rochester I would head west to Mankato and go up through St Cloud.

haleysgold
    SE MN

From 10 p.m. Fri, Sept. 16 to 5 a.m.
    Mon, Sept. 19, WB I-694 closed
    between I-35W and Silver Lake Rd.
    All ramps from Silver Lake Rd and
    west will be open.

Really? So does that mean I can’t take WB 694 at New Brighton?
    I’m guessing the answer is yes? Crap.
    That means I take 35W north to Hwy 10?
    I think that’s what Pete was suggesting also.

Sorry, I don’t travel thru the cities very often…obviously huh!

Munchy – I’m north quite a ways from Roch or I’d try that route. Would add a lot of miles for me.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Google maps when you leave, real time traffic update, will give you the best route.

haleysgold
    SE MN

Google maps when you leave, real time traffic update, will give you the best route.

Good idea but…I don’t see that road closure on WB 694?
    Should I?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dustin Gesinger wrote:</div>

Good idea but…I don’t see that road closure on WB 694?
    Should I?

Not if you are on your way already, it closes at 10 pm tonight through the weekend.

haleysgold
    SE MN

SO when I’m on my way at 8 AM tomorrow it’ll show it’s closed? And actually tell me it’s closed?

Looks like 36 to 35W and then up to 10 is still my best route to avoid the cluster?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Yes Google maps should show it as closed, sorry I thought you were leaving today. And I think that would be your best bet, or 52 to 94.

munchy
    NULL

The major roads like 694 and 35E Google should show the closures. The smaller roads it is hit or miss as to what Google knows.

haleysgold
    SE MN

I better pass on the 52/94 route…takes me right into the middle of everything. Sounds like an anxiety attack for me.

I appreciate everybody’s help.
    I should be good to go.
    Now if the fish bite, I’ll be all set!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

If you are taking the 694 route, and would need someone else to chime in here, but they had a split on the westbound side, for thru traffic, and for exit traffic. The thru traffic side was always WAY better to take, but not sure if that bypasses the 10 exit or if it’s still there.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Personally I would take a route going up on 35 E cutting west over to 65 at the hinkley exit then up to 210 w going through Mcgreggor to 169 north to 200 west takes you to south end of leach. Much more stress free drive than the west side of milacs lake.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I would take a route going up on 35 E cutting west over to 65 at the hinkley exit

There is construction from Pine City up through Hinkley. Avoid this route. Cut over to 65 at North Branch. The construction on 35e north of 694 is not bad on Saturdays.

-J.

zooks

Maybe take 494 around the west side instead?

I’d do this or take 52 N -> 494 W -> 169 N -> 94/694 W. Much less monkeying around taking on/off ramps, mileage is the same as the other routes plus the construction on 494 N through Plymouth isn’t bad at all.

Looks like lots of other construction BS happening on the north & east sides this weekend along with a Special Olympics event happening in Blaine right around the time you’d be going through that area.

http://www.dot.state.mn.us/weekendtrafficimpacts/pdf/weekendclosures.pdf

What time Saturday?
    Would opt for 94 all the way to Monticello or Clearwater exit to shoot over to 10.

X2 on the cut over at Clearwater, way faster than heading up hwy 10 from Blaine/Anoka/Ramsey/Elk River. Good luck with what you decide and let us know how the fishing is when you get back.

haleysgold
    SE MN

Zooks – Any reason you’d cut off on 169 N rather than taking 494 all the way around to 94 ?

Lotta choices…better than no choices I guess.

Pete S

SO when I’m on my way at 8 AM tomorrow it’ll show it’s closed? And actually tell me it’s closed?

Looks like 36 to 35W and then up to 10 is still my best route to avoid the cluster?

Thats what I would do. On a Saturday the lights on 10 won’t be that bad

zooks

Zooks – Any reason you’d cut off on 169 N rather than taking 494 all the way around to 94 ?

Lotta choices…better than no choices I guess.

Besides avoiding the construction on 494 N between 394 and 694, no. As mentioned, the construction there isn’t bad, just restricted to 2 lanes north of 394 with 50mph road work speed limit.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>1hl&sinker wrote:</div>
    I would take a route going up on 35 E cutting west over to 65 at the hinkley exit

There is construction from Pine City up through Hinkley. Avoid this route. Cut over to 65 at North Branch. The construction on 35e north of 694 is not bad on Saturdays.

-J.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>1hl&sinker wrote:</div>

-J.

Yonkers! One just can’t avoid this mess.. Jimminy crickets, I wonder if haleysgold be better of going into wisconson heading north. doah

Kyhl
    Savage

I’d do this or take 52 N -> 494 W -> 169 N -> 94/694 W. Much less monkeying around taking on/off ramps, mileage is the same as the other routes plus the construction on 494 N through Plymouth isn’t bad at all.

On a Saturday morning, I think this is the best option. Or skip 169 and take 494 around. The 2 lane construction isn’t that bad. You probably will be getting run over trying to drive the speed limit though the construction at that time.

haleysgold
    SE MN

Update:
    I took 35 E cutting west over to 65 at the North Branch then up to 210 w going through Mcgreggor to 169 north to 200. It’s the scenic route and almost same miles/time. I would take that route again in a heartbeat !!

I took 371/10/94/494/52 on the way home since 69 had some closures from flooding. I don’t know how people in the Cities handle that crap day after day…I’m a small town guy and with all the idiots on those roads…no wonder there’s road rage!

Fishing at Leech was better than some years and not as good as others. The perch size was smaller than normal, our biggest was about 10 1/2 maybe 11 and not many of those. I found my favorite places without one damn cabbage plant. The rusty Crawfish ate/pinched ’em all off. The east side of the narrows never had one plant and therefore not one bite in there.
    The wind blew every friggin day…which for Eyes is good but rather not do it perchin. Besides, rocking and rolling for 4 days, my back was killing me.
    I did talk a guy at the campground and said he found 12/13″ perch but they weren’t where I went.
    Not sure if I’ll go back next year…might need to try a different Fall lake.

Appreciate all the road advice guys. Thanks !

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Glad you made it up and back all ok. I forgot to mention the scenery going up that way.
    Strong winds sure puts a kink in ones plans especially 4 days in a row.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.