River Camping Croix or Miss

• FinickyFish

I’ve poured through the posts here and found a lot of good info but thought I’d ask a more direct question. I’d like to do a Croix or Mississippi camping trip for a weekend this June/July. I’ve looked into the NPS site for Croix and the various regs regarding permits. I’m leaning towards the Croix and north of Taylor’s Falls since it seems less busy (correct me if I’m wrong). I’m planning to take my 2 and 4 year old boys, wife, and another couple. Ill have my 18ft mirrocraft dual impact. We aren’t interested in water sports, more about wetting a line for multi species fishing and exploring the banks. Couple questions for the more experienced.

Is this a feasible trip for kids that young? I know some campsites can get roudy, kind of why I was trying to stay more north.
    Would you recommend that stretch if river for a v bottomed boat in normal conditions? I’ve seen folks say you can get as far as Nevers Dam if your careful. I have river boating experience before anyone asks and I’m not afraid to scratch some paint.
    Would you recommend a different stretch based on the time of year and campsite availability?
    Any other thoughts or considerations you’d share?
    I’ll add were also experienced campers but am open to hearing tips/best practices. I’m sure I’m missing details so feel free to ask.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

That’s very feasible for the young ones. I camp out of Franconia landing every couple weekends all summer long. Have been since the kids were really young. I just make them always wear a pfd unless they are 20 yards plus from the river. . My favorite stretch is between Osceola and Franconia. Both fishing and camping wise. Never hit any monster brag rights type of walleye but lots of the eater size, lots of small mouth and then both huge channel cats and big big flat heads. Plus there is endless sturgeon. We boat and hike and explore all day. And shore fish all night. The kids love it, the camp sites are first come first serve. We have 2 we really like but have stayed at them all. The only bad part is some weekends the kyak rentals from Taylor’s falls that float to Osceola. They will take up the width of the river and in some spots you have 1 channel to boat in and I hold my path. They like to complain but I smile and wave. I have camped and partied many times above the dam but for us below the dam is perfect, nice camp sites and good fishing and hiking. I live right in the area so pm with any questions.

FinickyFish

Appreciate the insight Bearcat. I had a feeling you’d respond to this post toast

rumriverrunner

I’ve wanted to do this, how do you find the campsites on St Criox? I’d like to put in near Taylor’s Falls.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

North of Taylors Falls there are no water sports allowed.

rumriverrunner

I found a map…South of TF there is only 4 sites. Looks like North of TF is where the campsites are, I’ve never went north.

dbright
    Cambridge

I found a map…South of TF there is only 4 sites. Looks like North of TF is where the campsites are, I’ve never went north.

Here are some maps definitely more then 4 down river of tf. Current water levels will make it easy to get around other then in some of the side channels. I have camped at or stopped to check out most of the campsites from the high bridge to riverside landing.

https://www.nps.gov/sacn/planyourvisit/maps.htm

B-man

My 2 cents, the entire area above and below the dam is pretty cool. There are limited sites and they’re first come first served.

It can be a gamble to plan a trip on a nice weekend looking for a spot on a Friday night. But if there’s a chance of rain, your chances of open spots increase exponentially.

If it’s going to be 80 and sunny, you better take Thursday or Friday off to make sure you can beat most everyone to the punch (especially since you’re trying to coordinate an organized trip).

If your dates are completely set on a Friday-Sunday, I’d look into staying at Inter-State Park and getting a reservation. It’s about the only way to get a guaranteed spot.

If all else fails and you can’t find an open site, you guys are welcome to camp on our land less than a half hour away. A private site to yourselves with a fire ring and weeds to pee in. There’s a boat landing to a lake across the street, and lots of other lakes in the area.

The Apple River is just a few hundred yards up the road to kayak through. You won’t see a soul on that stretch, it’s absolutely nothing like the Apple River most people think about farther downstream. It’s not as scenic as the Croix, but better than canceling a trip and turning around.

You would seriously be more than welcome to camp if you can’t find anything open (or even if you just wanted to lol)

tim hurley

Wow B-man you are what makes this site great.

dhpricco
    Twin Cities, MN

If your not dead set on using your motor boat, the stretch of the st croix up by Grantsburg WI and north is very pretty, but you would have to canoe it. I have done a weekend overnight trip before and there are many campsites right on the river as you float down. Wild River Outfitters will shuttle you up river and you can also rent canoes/kayaks there. Lot of good Smallmouth fishing in that area.

FinickyFish

Appreciate the offer B-man. For this trip I’m set on a motor boat but a canoe trip would definitely be in the future. I was wondering about the availability if trying to get a camping spot on a Friday. I was hoping the free permitting system on that stretch of river was similar to the BWCA where they sort of limit it based on availability but maybe not.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Appreciate the offer B-man. For this trip I’m set on a motor boat but a canoe trip would definitely be in the future. I was wondering about the availability if trying to get a camping spot on a Friday. I was hoping the free permitting system on that stretch of river was similar to the BWCA where they sort of limit it based on availability but maybe not.

If you give me a heads up I can assist with securing a spot

FinickyFish

Really appreciate that. Once I solidify a date I’ll reach out if we think we’ll need that service. You adding river expedition guide to that long list of side hustles? jester

phoyem
    Minneapolis

There are campsites north of the high bridge that are really nice. In general the river is very uncrowded from osceola to the high bridge.

Remember you can go south from the high bridge but not north. One of my favorite things to do is to take two cars, leave one in stillwater, and launch in taylors falls for a one way very scenic 28 mile trip. Then take the other car back to taylors falls to get the other vehicle with the trailer.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Really appreciate that. Once I solidify a date I’ll reach out if we think we’ll need that service. You adding river expedition guide to that long list of side hustles? jester

I never thought about it lol. But I can add Bearcats shitty guide service and mishaps to the list

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

There are campsites north of the high bridge that are really nice. In general the river is very uncrowded from osceola to the high bridge.

Remember you can go south from the high bridge but not north. One of my favorite things to do is to take two cars, leave one in stillwater, and launch in taylors falls for a one way very scenic 28 mile trip. Then take the other car back to taylors falls to get the other vehicle with the trailer.

We do the same thing. It’s a great stretch of river that is fairly quiet

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.