Rigging 36 volt trolling motor batteries

• ssperch
    Hudson, WI

Hi All,

I’ve got a 20 ft Triton 205 with a 36 volt trolling motor system. I have been running all 3 deep cycle batteries plus the starter in the back of the boat near the transom.

When I have a full load the back rides low and could have a better take off. I’ve been considering moving two of the three trolling motor batteries towards the center of the boat but would have to run about an 8ft lead to link the 3 batteries together.

I assume with longer leads, I will lose a bit of power. Has anyone expiramented with connecting a 36 volt system with long leads like this? (two batteries in the mid section, and one at the transom as well as the cranking battery)

Sam

munchy
    NULL

Shouldn’t be a problem. Though you’ll probably want to up the wire a size or two on both jumper wires, that should prevent any power loss.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I have all 3 of my batteries about 10′ from my motor. Different situation but I used the minimum recommended wire gauge without issue. I do agree with upsizing the wire though. I’m considering upsizing mine too just to make sure I’m not missing anything.

I would probably make the far battery the #2 battery so that your motor leads are the same length.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

I would recommend using jumper cable wire to do this. I know it sounds weird but if you check the gauge of the wire, you will find that you can’t even buy the same wire in bulk for the cost of jumpers. Just cut the clamps off and use the wire and solder on a lug.
    Make sure you get cables with fine wire, some of the super cheap jumpers will use a thicker strand and that is not as good.

munchy
    NULL

Be careful with jumper cables, there is a reason it is cheaper, as most use CCA (copper coated aluminum) wire strands and not OFC (oxygen free copper). Much cheaper and does not hold up as well in a marine environment. Also the insulation is cheaper and not rated for permanent installation.

I also like bigills idea of making battery 2 the far battery.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.