Ride at your own risk waver

• Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I have a couple of minibikes and my son had a friend over this weekend. This was this kids first time on a minibike. The parents said it was ok if he rode them. After about 10 min he started to get overconfident in his riding ability. I asked him to slow down more in the turns. He would for a couple of laps and then start hitting them too hard again. He finally lost it and crashed into the pool. Everyone is ok and there was no blood. The cheap pool is trashed (not a big deal). This made me think, what if he lost it in the chain link fence? It could have been bad.

Any of you guys with power toys have guest (parent if they are a minor) sign wavers before letting them ride them on your property? If so would you be willing to share what it looks like? I found multiple examples online but they were all for California.

I feel I should do something to protect myself. My son’s GPS said he hit 24 MPH and that fast enough for someone to get plenty hurt.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Get an umbrella insurance policy and be sure to read through it with your agent so that it fits for you. This goes above and beyond your other insurance to add another “layer” of protection.

If you have things around your house like a pool, trampoline, atv, dirtbikes, large swing sets, etc. that kids or people are around playing with…it is a wise and relatively cheap investment. I was always told that “More Toys + More Liability = More Insurance Needed”

haleysgold
    SE MN

I was told you can have them sign any waiver you want but they won’t stand up in court.
    Bucky is right, get an umbrella policy for a million and cost is around $200 a year. If get sued, let the Insurnace company you have the policy with deal with it.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I was told you can have them sign any waiver you want but they won’t stand up in court.
    Bucky is right, get an umbrella policy for a million and cost is around $200 a year. If get sued, let the Insurnace company you have the policy with deal with it.

Correct. The waiver will not hold up to any courts

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I read this also and that doesn’t make any sense to me. I will allow you to ride my toys if you agree not to sue me if you get hurt riding them. Then you get hurt riding them and sue? Wait, what?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>haleysgold wrote:</div>

I read this also and that doesn’t make any sense to me. I will allow you to ride my toys if you agree not to sue me if you get hurt riding them. Then you get hurt riding them and sue? Wait?

That is the world we live in.

The_Bladepuller
    South end

Parents + minibike = no fun zone.
    I think most parents would wonder, “What’s the catch we dontknow about?” When asked to sign a waiver.
    Have them wear helmets is the thing .

haleysgold
    SE MN

How bout this capola.

If somebody sneaks/trespasses on my land, crawls up in my tree stand, falls out and breaks a leg, they can sue me because I was negligent and didn’t prevent from getting in it.
    WTF?
    They trespassed on my land to get to it and if they fall out, I’m liable.
    Lot of other odd scenarios that make absolutely no Flippin sense.

Gotta wonder about the world we live in…

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>haleysgold wrote:</div>

I read this also and that doesn’t make any sense to me. I will allow you to ride my toys if you agree not to sue me if you get hurt riding them. Then you get hurt riding them and sue? Wait, what?

I have dealt with this alot. Letting kids ride our dirt bikes. But I only let the ones who I know the parents. It won’t stop a law suit but it helps

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

For those with toys, other people riding them or recreating on your land or in your yard, etc. just remember that you are only one unfortunate event away from working for someone else….for the rest of your life. Get an umbrella policy, and schedule a free review of it annually with your agent.

My “agent” is a lifelong friend which definitely helps. I don’t worry about him upselling me on things, but he also will call every few months to just ask if we got any new toys or circumstances have changed so that we can stay on top of stuff. When things change, he swings over to the house for a beer or 2 and we get things sorted out. The peace of mind alone is worth it.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Umbrella + a policy on the bikes themselves. A lot of insurers require you carry underlying coverage on Rec Vehicles in order for the Umbrella to extend the $1M (or more) coverage. I would email your agent inquiring about protecting yourself from these scenarios, and save the email back.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Minors can’t sign any waiver that would be legally binding.

It’s not true that a legally binding waiver never provides protection in a civil lawsuit. The problem is that no waiver can be used to absolve someone of the exercise of reasonable care. In other words you can’t use a waiver to defend yourself against negligence.

Which, of course, is what an injured party is going to claim when they sue–that you were negligent.

As others have said, carry in umbrella liability policy. This also gives the insurance company a vested interest in defending claims.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.