Rhinelander Area: Small waters, a panfish mercy plea

• reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

Ok, ok…I’ll just come right out and say it. I’m searching for small water ideas locally hoping for some pan fish of decent size. Yes, I’m asking for someone to shoot me a tip(PM preferred) towards some good ice fishing on small water around here.
    I realize it’s a long shot, but they tell me it never hurts to ask. All I can say in my defense is that I’m not looking to clean out a lake, or drag 30 of my buddies along for a party. On the ice it’s pretty much me, or me and my 6 and 11 yr old daughters who, for some reason incomprehensible to their mother, LOVE ice-fishing. I don’t want to keep a limit(or even close to it), and I don’t really want your GPS coordinates(yeah, OK. Of course I WANT them, but I get it.)
    I really just want pointed towards a body of water small enough(50 acres or less-15 is even better) to explore fairly easily and have a reasonable chance of icing some decent sized gills, crappie and/or perch. I’ve done a ton of research, but time on the ice will tell the difference between a pond full of stunted gills and a reasonably healthy system and I’m hoping somebody on here will help me narrow the list. A few pike to give the kids flags to chase is a huge bonus, even if they’re small.
    Figure I’ll go ahead and post pretty much the same over on L/L(wince), but at least here I don’t expect the ridicule and bashing I’m going to take for even asking over there.
    So with that, anyone out there close to me want to share? I’ll keep whatever info you share to myself…or I’ll happily meet you out on the ice sometime and maybe strike up a new friendship. -)
    Thanks in advance to anyone willing to share anything!
    -Rev

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

reverend:

PM sent… I will tell you that I haven’t done enough exploring, I know there are some out there… Unfortunately, I still don’t have quite enough time yet to get out a lot or perhaps at all yet this winter, but there are some lakes that are on the beaten path, that might have as good a fishing as the back country lakes for size of panfish. I also think that over the past two winters, it has been so hard to get places that a lot of our regular lakes size and population distributions have probably gotten better. You will have peeps around ya, but if you can be discreet in some locations, there is some pretty good fishing!!!

Mark

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.