Resort Recommendation?

• Weekender
    Southcentral MN

Thinking about taking a trip to the Big V this summer. Can I get some resort recommendations? Would like to be near the middle, but east or west side would be just fine too! Thanks!

carver
    West Metro

Spring bay on the west end would be my choice. Bars close by, ice cream for the kids.

VDL is good as well.

I would say that most resorts now are getting fuller by the day with the uncertainty of Canada.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

We rented a entire private cabin for 10 days this July 1st through the 10th from a musky guide on vermillion. Vrbo , way cheaper then a resort. And more private. 3rd year we went this route

3Rivers

I highly recommend Muskego Point. I grew up on the lake and worked there for a few years. No direct road access makes it a bit unique, and at times a bit inconvenient, but relaxation times 10 and great owners!

Weekender
    Southcentral MN

Thanks for the info. I looked into the resort suggestions and they didn’t have what we need.

Thought about going the VRBO route, but what do you do about launching, loading, refueling the boat, trailer parking/storage, etc?

3Rivers

Another option to look into is Fortune Bay. All the amenities, nice marina area with ramp, good location, and great golf course.

carver
    West Metro

Thanks for the info. I looked into the resort suggestions and they didn’t have what we need.

Thought about going the VRBO route, but what do you do about launching, loading, refueling the boat, trailer parking/storage, etc?

For a vrbo, would use a public boat launch. Refueling would have to be at one of the resorts or marinas at the lake. Trailer would have to be either brought back to the house or if it is vrbo on an island talked to the owner.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Weekender wrote:</div>

For a vrbo, would use a public boat launch. Refueling would have to be at one of the resorts or marinas at the lake. Trailer would have to be either brought back to the house or if it is vrbo on an island talked to the owner.

There are launches, resorts that allow for overnight parking. We leave our cars, trailers at the DNR ramp next to Shamrock for days at a time.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

We camped on Hinsdale Island one year, that was a great spot, if you’re into that sort of thing. Launched and got gas at Timbuktu which was super close.

Weekender
    Southcentral MN

Thank you all for the replies! Much appreciated!

I’m happy to report that we were able to find a cabin to rent at Whispering Winds Resort. So we are excited about that and are looking forward to spending a week up there! yay

Weekender
    Southcentral MN

So we’ll be coming the second week of July fishing primarily for walleye. What would be the recommendations for locating them? Not spots, but depth and structure?

I imagine fishing the wind will be important. But are there good weeds the walleyes will haunt? Or are we talking deep reefs, points and bars?

Curious if we’ll need to focus deep (20ft +) or given the right conditions such as wind or cloud cover, we might find them shallow, say 10ft or less?

It appears there are some panfish in the lake too and I’m guessing we look to weeds and weed edges for those?

Thanks!

Oh, and being we’re staying at Whispering Winds, we’ll be mostly on the west and central part of the lake.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

This is just me and I’ve only spent time there during the latter part of Sept. at Vermilion Dam Lodge to your east, but if this is your first trip I would spend all my time fishing the Head of the Lake Bay, Wakemeup Bay, through the Narrows and into Niles Bay. You will have all you want to look at in the first two Bays I mentioned above. More later after the Masters concludes…

Mark

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20210411-161034_Boating.jpg

Weekender
    Southcentral MN

Yes, those are the primary areas we will likely be. Plus I’ll likely venture up to the Smart Bay, Bystrom Bay and past the St. Mary’s island area as well.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Weekender:

I spent time with a friend up there at VDL in the far NE corner. We caught walleyes during that time frame at the bottom of the break and it was way more difficult than I expected. We were fishing with an entire camp in a walleye school with Doc Sonar and Johnny Candle. And there were some pretty good sticks in the class the 2 years I was there. My partner was spending his 3rd year there and didn’t want to listen to the same spiel a 3rd time, so he went fishing and caught a 28 and 29 that night in a couple hours of fishing. He was pretty happy.

We mostly fished Wakemeup, Niles, the NE corner south of the resort, the went through Oak Narrows and fished Fraser Bay up to Black Duck Island. We were never further east of Black Duck. Lots of good water I’m sure and we heard of some of the camp’s fisherman finding the best walleye further east of even St. Mary’s.

We also never made it into or just barely into the bay your staying in. We did spend a lot of time the 2nd year in Wakemeup and Niles and it would seem to me that for the summer time fishing your going to be doing that Wakemeup had a lot of really good stuff in it. We never made up into Norway on the N side Wakemeup either…

There, that’s what I know for now.

Mark

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.